RMD Knife Kit

Alrighty, here we have a Swamp Rat Ratmandu with a Kydex sheath by our very own Snakedoc. I asked, he delivered.

We talked price and details, but what he crafted, blew me away as far as craftsmanship. It's a pancake style kydex sheath with screws instead of bolts, so I can break it down if I desire. I asked for a 3/8th inch firesteel loop which came out fantastic. He also added a magazine pouch (which fits perfect) to the top of the sheath. Perfect.

I like knife based kits. I always carry what I need, but if I were ever traumatically separated from my pack and gear, I have some backup items with the knife kit (which is always on my belt). I attached a firesteel (a matching one is en route now), with a lanyard whistle to secure the firesteel. Here it is in all it's glory, stuffed to the gills with goodies.

P1080350.jpg

On the reverse, I added a DMT sharpshim to the Tek-Lok for obvious reasons.

P1080349.jpg

Inside the pouches I added these:

P1080347.jpg

Let's break those down further. From top to bottom, left to right, we have:
  1. One Liter Water Bag
  2. One Thermal Blanket
  3. 10 ft of Snare wire
  4. 30 feet of 50LB spectra braided fishing line
  5. One sewing needle
  6. One button watch compass
  7. 4 ft of international orange duct tape
  8. One emergency LED flashlight
  9. One straw segment stuffed with petrolium jelly and cotton (sealed)
  10. 2 katyden water purification tabs
  11. 4 REI storm matches (sealed in a single serving drink plastic) and striker
  12. One Mentos plastic candy container with lables removed
  13. Small ziploc bag with 3 lead weights, 3 fishing hooks, and one bobby pin
  14. NOT PICTURED (a slice from a wine cork for bobber material)

P1080346.jpg

Questions/concerns/opinions all welcome.

Very nice:thumbup: I'm a big fan of having some basics attached to my belt knife. At the very least a firesteel and a piece of fatwood to get a fire going.

How is the mag pouch attached to the sheath? Molle clips on the sheath?

Cool setup.
What's the overall weight on it?
I'm sure you can fit some basic first aid stuff in there. Few band-aids are always handy.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. The overall weight is 1.84 LBS and the knife alone weighs in at .92 LBS. I'm really not worried about minor injury or abrasion management because the kit is designed for a few days out. Cuts and scrapes will likely not pose an issue in that time frame. If it's more major, I can always modify my clothing for a tourniquet or sling, and I could use the sewing kit for laceration closure. I have it STUFFED to the gills, although I might be able to squeeze in an alcohol or iodine swab for cleaning a wound. Thanks for the input and suggestion!

Very nice:thumbup: I'm a big fan of having some basics attached to my belt knife. At the very least a firesteel and a piece of fatwood to get a fire going.

How is the mag pouch attached to the sheath? Molle clips on the sheath?

Yep, that is exactly how it's attached :D

I like it a lot. This is some great food for thought! I have been thinking of something along the same lines but attaching to your leg/thigh.

Thanks for the compliments folks! I credit Snakedoc entirely with the sheath setup. I just stuffed it full of gear.

Very Cool! I had a similar idea that is kinda totally different.:D

That is a a very cool set up.

Bump for posterity in the new forum. I hope someone gets some ideas or inspiration from this project. I know I am enjoying the setup.

looks good :)

I like the double pouch, my F1 sheath will only accommodate a single pouch

F1kitunsheathed.jpg

The idea of a sheath with pockets imo is a novel idea imo anyways I just ordered a spec- ops combat master for my RMD.

Back