RMJ Forge or Mineral Mountain info ?

Still devouring information on tactical tomahawks/hatchet's - does anybody have any experience with either of these two makers - ?

Mineral Mountain's Battle Hatchet (they use 5160 Spring Steel) http://mineralmountain.com/index.htm

or

RMJ Forge (4140 Differentially Hardened Alloy Steel)...? http://www.rmjforge.com/

...don't want to spend the cash and find out that the PERFECT tomahawk was just around the corner...:eek:

thanks all...

The Mineral Mountain ones are interesting, especially that Hawg Hyde handle coating. It looks "grippy".

Both companies have pretty good reps and there are a lot of tactical hawk makers out there so it's a matter of which style you like the best. They don't look like they're gonna break real easy.

thanks, Suzanne - my only other concern is with the rust resistance of the various metals/coatings - the ATC Sibert Comache looks like the coating would be more resistant than the Mineral Mountain - I'm not all that familiar with the metalurgy...?

I thought RMJ wasn't making hawks for some time.
Ryan does some fine work, but I would make sure he's delivering new pieces.
You may also want to check GB&U.

THey almost look blued instead of an actual "coat" but that's very hard to tell from a photo. A lot of coatings aren't "permanent" and they do wear, especially with heavy use & throwing. The ones above, if they're "blued" would be easy to fix if they needed it cosmetically. If they have an actual coat that starts to chip - that's hard to fix.

I own several different hawks....I have been fortunate enough to aquire 4 RMJ hawks (3 talons and 1 kestral)...I gave 1 to a close friend....It would be hard to find a better tool anywhere, however, it took so long to get one I would have a hard time using one for work...Ill stick with a $20 CS trailhawk or ATC VTAC...also try rmjtactical.com
good luck

thanks, Suzanne - my only other concern is with the rust resistance of the various metals/coatings - the ATC Sibert Comache looks like the coating would be more resistant than the Mineral Mountain - I'm not all that familiar with the metalurgy...?

I own a MMHW knife and it is spring steel with a parkerized coating. This is the same phosphate finish the military used to put on all it's firearms. It is very rust resistant & the coating has held up through lots of abuse. I believe Ted (MMHW bladesmith) parkerizes just about everything he makes.

If you want an RMJ hopefully you will have better luck than me - I ordered a kestral through rmjtactical and have wrote it off now over a year later. I even spoke to them and went as far as giving them a CC #. I got a Swamp Rat and a Gransfors hawk for less than the cost of an aftermarket RMJ, so I'm happy.

I have a white river bowie from MMHW, and it's a very solid piece of steel. I'd assume the hatchets are built to the same standards, and should be rather sturdy to say the least. The black parkerized finish has held up well on my knife, and overall, I would characterize the knife as near-indestructible.

Back