roadmasterforyou

I purchased a new buck 112 auto from bladeplay a few months ago. The brass bolsters seem to scratch very easily. How can I polish these out?

Thanks,
roadmasterforyou :eek:

Flitz will work on the blade, too. If the scratches are really deep, you'll need to sand or buff them out. You can find really fine grits of wet/dry sandpaper (the black stuff) at automotive stores in the paint section. If you aren't careful, however, you run the risk of making things worse. Definitely try the Flitz first.

The other alternative is just to live with the scratches. If you use the knife, it will get scratched. There's no way around it. If you want to use the knife and still keep it looking pristine, you'll be fighting a never-ending battle.
--Josh

I have a wwII MI bayonette that needs to be cleaned. What do you recommend?

Also a stainless steel swiss army bayonette that needs sharpening. Please advise.

Thanks,
roadmasterforyou

Dishwasher and the side of a butter churn! :D

Seriously, what kind of cleaning? Rust? You'll need a stone and some practice to sharpen them.

What are you planning to do with two sharp bayonettes?

(why did I ask that?)
:eek:

If the Swiss bayo is the double edged model with the grooved plastic handle(Stg57) forget sharpening it. Short of major reprofiling, the edge can't be sharpened much more than it is now.

For the M-1 bayo, oil it with mineral oil, and let it sit for a while. Then wipe it off. This should take care of the easy gunk. For small rust spots, oil, then pick them off using a dental pick or straight pin. For large tough rust spots, oil, then with the finest grade steel wool, wipe them off.

You could, but you'd remove quite a bit of metal thinning everything out, unless you've had a bit of experience, it's a tough job. Most folks have had bad luck fixing these bayos up. They were meant as a pure poker, and not as a cutter.

roadmasterforyou said:
Someone told me AUS 8 was hard to get sharp. Is this a true fact?

Thanks,

Roadmasterforyou

No, AUS8 is not all that hard to sharpen. Get some diamond hones and go to work. :)

I've found that my AUS8A blades take a little bit more time when I sharpen them but nothing extraordinary. AUS8 will get scary sharp, I know. It also tends to keep a functional edge noticably longer than 400 series steel, so it's worth the extra effort. I've never sharpened M2, D2, A2, or BG-42 but I hear they are the really tough ones to sharpen.

Back