Robert the Bruce, Maryland summers and boiled peanuts

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I've been Darth Vanadium, in absentia, of the Cult of the Peanut. Akin to Robert the Bruce, I have been the unofficial head of the Cult, although I wouldn't compare Balmer and the surrounding Maryland countryside to the Emerald Isles of Robert's exile.

While being addicte to Facebook groups, I haven't forgotten about this forum. Just haven't made it here. I still interact with some of you in person and on the interwebz. I do have a dilemma. I'm a fat guy, although 85 lbs smaller and trying to get even smaller, 250 is still the goal, Maryland humidity is hell on even a skinny man's carbon steel knife.

My peanut has been through thick and thin with me. Nestled in my shirt pocket, it has avoided a lot of grime and sweat that my other slipjoints and frame locks and fixed blades have encountered. My flipper has had to endure in my right back pocket. My slipjoints have had to endure in all of my pockets, sometimes (any who have seen me take knives out of my pockets, ala Joker in Dark Knight, knows that I have nothing in my pockets but "knives and lint". Neck knives have suffered when I try to remain inconspicuous with them under my shirt when hiking or walking the neighborhood.

Well, I tried to keep up with my peanut, and in doing so, lost the darkness of it's Damascus, and the etching. The blade has taken to its new host. Even though our lightsabers are small, they are distinct to us. Losing the darkness of the blade, has brought about some spots on it too.

Years ago I wanted to take my single blade, which is now in the possession of my little brother, and send it off to it's homeworld, Bradford PA, for a refurbish. I didn't, just cleaned it up a little, and it served duty, among others, as my little brothers wedding knife (I am thankful, it has survived, he broke the tip of a one hand opener).

Now, I want to send my two blade peanut back to the home world for some rest and relaxation. I know it will be fine, I have set it aside as it needs to go on injured reserve. I am hesitant of the edge they will attempt to put on it, my upside down ceramic cup sharpening skills are not on point.

I have a ton of slipjoints to choose from. Oeser, Case, Taber, Good Zulus. Taber, Case, Johnson LCs. Saldana barlow, Swenson swayback jack. Tip top Magoo here.

Boiled peanuts? Yeah, my peanut boiling in my shirt pocket. Going to Chincoteague next month, I know I'll see boiled peanuts for sale everywhere, and I will steer clear of those stands. None for me!

But I go back to a gift from a friend, this two blade peanut. Trying to make more memories than buy new knives...

Great to have you back Dan.

Trying to make more memories than buy new knives...

It's good to step back from time to time and appreciate what we have instead of always obsessing about what we want. Just the other day I was doing some maintenance on my knives. HI khukuris, hand forged puukkos, a few bowies, assorted slipjoints, and the like. The thought came to me that each and every one of those knives was better than anything my father and grandfather ever owned. Even the knives in the kitchen were superior. Yet I still want more. I don't know how I feel about that.

The thought came to me that each and every one of those knives was better than anything my father and grandfather ever owned. Even the knives in the kitchen were superior. Yet I still want more. I don't know how I feel about that.
Discerning observation. And a unsettling one.

9E0DA536-FF81-4E19-AA91-8CBB19966503.jpeg 411E1544-367A-4391-A084-1451ECEFF2CE.jpeg I don’t own a lot of traditionals, but I like the low maintenance LionSteel folders. M-390 steel blades and Ti bolsters and liners.

Attachments

• 385B3394-A78A-44EE-8B21-153101C87F4F.jpeg
    385B3394-A78A-44EE-8B21-153101C87F4F.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CF04A688-82D4-4991-83E0-8225E79AD0C3.jpeg
    CF04A688-82D4-4991-83E0-8225E79AD0C3.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
Dan, I was starting to wonder if you fell off the face of the Earth. I’ve been going back through the peanut cult thread and you had so much input on that thread, I was missing the updates and pictures.

Life gets really busy and there are a ton of distractions that can keep us away from the forums. I step away from time to time, but that’s an excercise in financial responsibility for me.

It takes a lot of love and care when carrying carbon and that’s one of the things I love about it. I know it sucks to pull out your blade and see the rust forming, but a few moments of tlc and no harm, no foul.

Great to have you back.

Robbie is not exiled.... He's on the beer fridge in my shop.

zSCuRDf.jpg

Back