Robeson Wharncliffe Whittler

I’ve got months of usage of this knife under my belt now, so I thought I’d post up a little critique of the Robeson ATS-34 wharncliffe whittler slipjoint. Big thanks go out to Bullman Cutlery for finding this knife for me. It seems like Bruce can come up with anything I ask for!!!!

Anways, this is one of the famous ATS-34 slipjoints, manufactured by Queen under the Robeson name. It’s part of the Robeson PocketEze family, which is scribed on the knife’s shield. The scale material is tan jigged bone. While I’m not a huge fan of tan bone, the fit and finish on the knife is exceptional. All of the rivets were deeply punched down, so there are no nasty edges sticking out like on many of my slipjoints. The back spring meets perfectly with both the bone scales and brass liners, so there are no edges on the back of the knife for your pocket to catch on.

The “walk and talk” of the knife is also very well done. Two opposing blades, of different sizes, placed on a single back spring, must be quite tricky to properly implement. I have a few of these, and there is always a compromise. Either a large blade doesn’t have enough “walk and talk” or the small blade has too much. Sometimes both. Queen performed some sort of old world voodoo magic on this knife, because it displays none of these symptoms. The main blade opens and closes with a terrific snap, and so does the small pen blade. I don’t know how they did it, but I like it a lot. To top it all off, the pen blade snaps open at the half way point also, which is always a nifty feature.

The main blade itself is a glory to behold. I absolutely adore wharncliffe blades. Wharncliffes look stunningly classy, and are a pleasure to use when whittling intricate grooves in wood. The size of the blade is also perfect for detail whittling; not too small to be useless, but just big enough for the tough to reach stuff. I don’t understand why so few manufacturers make wharncliffe whittlers. The wharncliffe is one of the most useful blade shapes I’ve ever used.

My only complaint about this knife is the back edge of the main blade, where it comes into contact with the back spring. This right angle edge is cut very sharply, where most all of my other slipjoints are somewhat rounded off in this area. This sharp edge has caught in my pocket on occasion. This is by no means a big complaint, but I was surprised to see something negative on such a great knife, where many lesser knives do not suffer from this imperfection. But seeing as everything else about this knife is so good, I really shouldn’t complain.

The factory edge on the knife was about standard for slipjoints; basically a butter knife. I’ve grown to live with this over the years. The downside on this occasion was that an ATS-34 edge is kind of tricky to profile on such a small slipjoint. You can’t exactly clip the knife onto a Lansky and use the diamond hones. I just had to spend the time with a bench stone and SharpMaker, and do it right. It took a while compared to 440a steel, but the exercise was worth the time and effort. I’ve got an edge that holds forever, and it’s on a slipjoint!!! Amazing!!!

All in all, this is an awesome knife. Sharpening it may be tougher than you’re accustomed to, but you get a drop-dead quality cutter in the end. Well done Queen!!!

wharn1.jpg

Nice review, and great blade shape as well, one of my Most Favourite blade shapes. So very handy to use. Were there more of these to be had?

G2

If I remember correctly, Bruce has ordered all of my Robesons from Queen specially. I'd lay in an email to Bruce and ask him if Queen has more of them. I'm betting that he could find one for you. I ordered three ATS-24 Queens from him, and he managed to come up with all of them. This guy can track down knives like no one else.

Buzzbait
well done.Its nice to see some guys useing these knives.I've often wondered about these in ATS-34.I often use a German Eye brand with their hammer forged carbon blades.They are ground very thin and slice very well.They are all around pretty rugged slip joints.
thanks
ford

Buzzbait, thanks for the review. It looks like a great knife. I love the wharcliffe blades too. A question. Are the bolsters stainless or nickel? Big D1

Big D1,

They are nickel silver.

I have one of these Robeson Whittlers also. I like it a lot. Very handy little knife. Queen makes great knives. I have also bought several Schatt & Morgans and I'm very pleased with them.

Mike

Back