Review Rockstead Shu

Rockstead fixed-blades are righty and lefty!
While this is true....the fixed blades are a bit large for carrying in my daily going about. And the nice (not that silly neck knife) fixed blades they make are insanely priced.

That said.....maybe some day I'll cave.

I've had the Shu for seven months and have been able to maintain the edge with occasional stropping with coarse and fine compound on a double-sided leather strop. The effects of this can seen if looking at the blade closely but this hardly detracts from the knife as I bought it to use it.
lEbyVo7.jpg

I wish I could say I carry the Shu every day but I don't always carry a knife to begin with and dispersing usage among many knives is an occupational hazard of being a knife enthusiast. That said, I began buying modern knives looking for that one knife to use whenever a knife is needed and watch as frequent use leaves its wear over the years. It did not turn out that way.
Oaq4yKu.jpg

The Shu was an usual choice for me based upon my presumed preferences. I preferred knives with more straight lines than curves and with features that are so organic that they almost disappear into the overall knife. So a knife with a curved handle was out of my figurative comfort zone only to realize how comfortable the Shu's handle is. The handle fits naturally into my hand without any hotspots and effortlessly provides a secure grip.
OhQaMKs.jpg

Another feature I was unsure of was the button lock as I preferred liner and frame locks. Once again experience triumphed over assumption as the blade is held securely open and closed.
blVmeVA.jpg

The blade is also busier than I usually like with a mirror finished bevel, stonewashed flats, a fuller and hole, a swedge, jimping, thumb studs and relatively large engraving. While a blade looking busy is in itself subjective the function of these various features come together in such a way that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. And, I no longer think the blade looks busy because i have always preferred function over fashion.

Last edited:
I don't have a preference for deep-carry pocket clips in general. Before even considering how deep in my pocket a clip holds a knife I consider how the clip feels when holding the knife and that it securely holds it in my pocket in a relatively unobtrusive manner. And, of course, does not serve the purpose of constantly reminding which company made the knife. And, yes, appearance matters but in my experience the most functional clips are also the best looking. That said it took me a while to notice how deep the Shu's clip has it ride in pocket in addition to being a highly functional clip. I was walking in front of my bathroom mirror when I noticed just how unnoticeable the Shu is in pocket.
Y2Y3NUL.jpg

As the holiday season is upon us I find myself buying more things more frequently. More things mean more packaging which, in turn, means more use of my chronically underused knives. Last week I opened plastic packaging using a knife with a Vanax 37 blade and some time later–possibly days later–I noticed a section of the primary bevel had curled to one side. As far as I can remember the plastic packaging was the most substantial material I had cut with that knife so I assume the damage was a result of that. Needless to say I was disappointed. Last night I had another recently purchased item in plastic packaging that needed opening and had the Shu in my pocket. The convex ground ZDP 189 cut effortlessly through the plastic with out so much as a scratch.
GuIXE4j.jpg

Maintenance (Part 1):

The time had come for some basic maintenance for the Shu. This was not at all due to any problem in performance but just to clean off any accumulated gunk. Ok, and possibly due to curiosity.
ceHDdQx.jpg

I started by using my T6 Wiha torx driver to remove the pocket clip. As you can see none of the body screws are obstructed by it but I preferred have it out of the way.
xzeDoab.jpg

The three body screws came out using a T5 Wiha torx driver. They were screwed in securely but do not appear to have been held tight using Loctite. You can barely see it in the picture below, but there is a plastic or metal ridge approximately one third from the bottom of each screw that goes halfway around the screws circumference. I poked it with my fingernail and it was solid but otherwise I can only guess what it is: to prevent the screw from advancing too far into the threaded titanium.
2Fg5jvG.jpg

With the three screws removed I carefully pried the two halves apart. The blade, locking mechanism and back stop are set into the handle scale housing the pocket clip. Neither of the three aforementioned parts could be removed although it seems safe to assume the torx screw at the center of the pivot would facilitate that–but that was outside of my tinkering comfort zone. There are three metal dowels housed between both scales.
9uOW8jW.jpg

Last edited:
CPP CPP I purchased the new Higo II X-CF ZDP and loved the blade....BUT with the handle being thicker than normal the pocket clip really gets in the way, it would be better without. So it was sold off and now I have the funds for another.

I’ve been eying the Rocksteady SHU you have and really like the ergo and carry from the looks of it. Haven’t handled one yet, but I like the forward choil and the blade shape looks much more useful for everyday edc. The HIGO blade is nice but so much belly doesn’t make it super edc. I like how the SHU has an easy to get to point without have to lift the knife so high to get to it.

how do you like your SHU now that you’ve had it for awhile? How does the knife carry with the pocket clip? No worries of it sliding out or is it very tight? I actually don’t mind if it’s a little tight like my Shiro Neon Retro people complain about. At least you don’t have to worry about losing it!

I’m definitely 90% ready to pull the trigger and purchase one.

It's a great knife but as I mentioned above I was–and still am–on the fence about the forward choil in general. Its execution on the SHU is perfect but I usually prefer knives with half an inch of space between the cutting edge and my index finger. Obviously this is a discussion of the pros and cons of the finger choil not of the SHU. If you like forward choils then this could very well be the perfect knife for you.

I would never carry the SHU without a pocket clip as it would turn sideways in my pocket being uncomfortable and looking ridiculous. That said, a pocket sheath with a flat bottom would solve that problem.

The pocket clip is a thin, softish metal that makes it pliable while holding firm. By pliable I mean you could easily bend it with your fingers or pliers to your liking. The angle of the clip in relation to the handle makes the SHU perfect for jeans in addition to dress pants or chinos whereas a pocket mounted straight on the handles such as the NeOn or a Sebenza sticks out of the pocket of them at an awkward angle.

Before buying a Rockstead though, I suggest reading through this thread that discusses the company's warranty policy or at least read the warranty yourself.

Back