Rodeo

This weekend I went to the local rodeo to watch a few cowboys do their thing. The rodeo is held every weekend from November into the spring. The weather lately has made it difficult for a good turn out, but that was not the case this weekend. The building was packed with so many people that they had to start turning people away. It's a small rodeo and the only event that the rodeo has is Bull Riding, but that doesn't take away from the experience at all. There are a couple classes of Bull Riding that they offer. The first is always the actual bull riders that follow a circuit and ride to become professionals. The second class is called the short round. In this class, anyone who wants to try to get on a bull is welcome to try. This class ranges from amateur riders to members of the crowd who have signed a waver.

In between classes they have what is called the Stick Horse Stampede. This is where kids ages 10 and under are welcomed into the arena for a race. All of the kids are given a stick pony to ride. They are split up into two age groups. The younger kids are told to run around a set of orange cones. The older kids are told to run two laps around the arena. The winners of each group are given a shirt and a candy bar. It is quite the combination of both cute and hilarious to watch the kids run and trip over their stick ponies.

Have any of you every been to or participated in a rodeo? What are your favorite events? Please share your stories.

As a young'n I rode in a number of events, a little camp drafting (like cutting) and barrel racing. Rode a couple of steers as a early teenager but being the delicate soul I am prefered the events that attached me to a horse :D I grew up in a pair of riding boots and smelling of sweating horse... :D :D I do now miss living in the country !!!

Steer wrestling, bareback broncs, saddle broncs, roped a bit (mostly team roping), cutting and rode bulls. It was fun but I feel it every morning. Now I am more of a leasurily trail ride on a well broke horse kinda guy. May run a barrel class now and then or hit a mounted shooting event just for fun, but mostly just a peaceful ride through the woods is my event of choice now. Just dont heal as fast as I did when I was 20.

Still miss the thrill of it all.

Garth

Down here the little ones have a sport called mutton bustin... Funniest stuff you can see!

I used to ride horses all of the time when I was young. Now life has gotten in the way. Would love to get back on a horse and just ride around.

Down here the little ones have a sport called mutton bustin... Funniest stuff you can see!

Mutton Busting isn't just a southern thing. When I was little I was entered into quite a few Mutton Busting classes as well as greased pig chases. Sure it looks hilarious but its not that easy. It's all in good fun, and I can tell you that it is definitely just as fun to compete as it is to watch. :)

Rode a few small bulls between high school and college. I found the excitement to be too short lived so I stuck with racing motocross and hare scrambles. Still fun though. I work cows on my buddies place every year and am still amazed that a 125lb calf can kick my a$$ if I am not paying attention.

Steer wrestling, bareback broncs, saddle broncs, roped a bit (mostly team roping), cutting and rode bulls. It was fun but I feel it every morning. Now I am more of a leasurily trail ride on a well broke horse kinda guy. May run a barrel class now and then or hit a mounted shooting event just for fun, but mostly just a peaceful ride through the woods is my event of choice now. Just dont heal as fast as I did when I was 20.

Still miss the thrill of it all.

Garth

Most of you that have met me, I guarantee would not believe I have done all that, different life 20+ years ago, back when drinkin' a lot more than rootbeer would solve the pain :)

Great thread Lora

Most of you that have met me, I guarantee would not believe I have done all that, different life 20+ years ago, back when drinkin' a lot more than rootbeer would solve the pain :)

Great thread Lora

You know, Dave, I would pay money to see you an Garth as a team roping pair.

I would like to see the horses that could carry us through it. I was a bit lighter back in those days.

Garth

Me too my friend

134016_190935264254114_1412962_o_zps66e45d40.jpg

Dave,

If that doesn't make you feel O.L.D. ain't nuthin' will!

I was never a participant, but WAY back when I was but a wee lad, I "worked" a bit behind the scenes. I spent a day setting up beds, pulling hay wire and (as a special surprise to me) feeding the bulls. I weighed maybe 60lbs or so and was nervous enough being on the back of the truck...suffice to say I was more than a tad nervous (read flat scared nearly to death) when "the guys" told me to get off the truck and "break up" some clumps of hay for the big, huge, GIANT, REALLY BIG animals with horns!. I didn't stay off the truck for long.

I suspect that may have been one of those "defining moments" in my life. I'm guessing 40 or so years has passed, and I can still smell the smells. A year or so after that, I "discovered" baseball, then the beach/surfing and haven't worn a shirt with snaps on it or pointy toed boots since..

FFA jackets! I have one of those! Is yours made of corduroy too?

Yep Royal blue :)

My sister is the blonde on the right, nice 80's hair :)

You will definitely have to take me sometime, Lora! It looks like a blast :thumbup:

Back