Roku, Chrome cast, Apple TV? HELP!!!

Love the remote that comes with Roku, setup was a breeze, not sure I can say the same for chromecast!

I am a long time Apple TV user, and have not used any of the others. I LOVE my Apple TV.

Here's an honest question: how do you watch TV?

We were actually contemplating cutting cable for a while, and running Netflix and others through a combination of our PS3, TiVo box's, smart TV's, and Chromecast (almost everything is WiFi connected and will stream these days). We found we weren't really watching TV, as much as we were using it as background noise most times, so it became more of a hassle for us to find something to turn on, that we weren't really paying attention to anyway.

Series that we did regularly watch, the TiVo's were picking up for us from cable. So we weren't getting much from many of the streaming services. And we found that we just were not using the streaming services much.

The other issue I personally had was getting live sports I wanted. I could pick up local games through an antenna, but beyond that, it was hit or miss. For me, the real kicker was Formula 1, and some of the other international racing stuff. If you don't already have a cable provider, you can't get some of it streamed anyway (anything affiliated with FoxSports or NBC Sports was notorious for this).

Also factor in how many pay services you you want to have, how much each cost, plus your internet service cost, and weigh it against what you're paying now. For us, it was a wash to get what we wanted (our FiOs 'triple play' type package wasn't that much more expensive then going to just internet alone).

I'm NOT saying to stick with cable. I know lots of people who've cut the cord, and are quite happy. Just realize that it's a bit of adjustment in HOW you watch TV, and your cost vs. value may not be what you expect, especially if you start paying for multiple streaming packages.

What about a Frire stick that has been tweaked? A guy at work swears by this. He did say it had an adjustment period, but was easy to figure out.

Has anybody seen any kind of online 'fill in the blank with your preferences' or multiple choice kind of survey tool that would help direct someone to the best choices or at least choices that would all meet the need? We've been a triple play Comcast then Time Warner now Spectrum customer for years and the cost just keeps going up. Problem is I have no other good choice for internet in my area so I think I'm stuck with Spectrum for that.

Good information at groundedreason dot com.

best

mqqn

Back