Ron Newton / John Fitch Collaboration Damascus Fighter

I’ve had this knife for about a week and only now have been able to put it down long enough to organize a few thoughts. This collaboration damascus fighter is a knife that positively abounds in captivating details…. But I’m getting ahead of myself. First a brief chronology on how this knife came to be.

At a post-Blade gathering of several luminaries of the forge held at chez Fisk, Ron Newton and John Fitch (the latter having recently attained his Master Smith credentials) got together for a collaboration piece. The process unfolded as follows:

1) Ron forged the Filicietti-style “finger” mosaic damascus billet from O1 and 15N20.
2) John forged and flat-ground the blades (2 were ultimately made).
3) Ron created the nickel-damascus S-guards, front ferrules, butt caps and frog buttons.
4) John fabricated the handles.
5) Ron created the birch-lined silver sheaths.

This was the way things stood at step 2 (pic by Newton). As you can see, the blades are similar but not identical, with slight variations in length and profile. The slightly larger blade ultimately became serial # 1 of 2 (so-engraved on the silver sheath), and now happily resides with me.

orig.jpg

One of the really neat aspects of this whole experience was the way Ron kept me updated at all stages of development, including several pics of the work in progress. It was almost as if I got to peek over his shoulder at his shop from time to time. He definitely took customer service and communication to a whole new level. Now on to the completed knife.

orig.jpg

My particular knife sports a mosaic damascus blade of 6 1/8”, with an overall length of 10 ¾”. The cased handle is dyed giraffe bone in a medium grey tone that really suits the overall look of the knife. There is a gentle palm-swell in the handle for added comfort. You will note that the nickel damascus front ferrule and the frog button on the sheaths are heat blued to match each other (a feature present on both knives, as will be seen). The silver sheath is perfectly-executed and provides an elegant complement to the knife itself. The clip formed into the sheath perfectly matches the clip in the blade and is an exceptionally slick touch.

orig.jpg

The nickel-damascus S-guard and but cap are etched to a ghostly silver-grey from which the nickel shimmers and dances, particularly in the half-pennies of the guard. The mosaic pattern in the blade is quite stunning – even more so than shown in the photos. Ron says his wife sees zebra skins in the patterns and I absolutely agree.

orig.jpg

And for a final point, have a gander at the swirling pattern in the frog button:

orig.jpg

I’d like to thank and congratulate Ron Newton and John Fitch on their truly excellent work. I feel very privileged to call this example my own.

Cheers,

Roger Pinnock

But wait, there’s more…

I did mention TWO knives – and here they are as a pair (Newton photo):

orig.jpg

As you can see, they are definitely brothers but not twins. Seems almost a shame to separate them though. Almost. Perhaps the lucky recipient of “2 of 2” will chime in.

Ron also arranged to have the knives professionally photographed and included the following as an 8 by 10 photo along with the knife. Can’t wait to have it framed and hang it at the office. (Photo by customknifegallery.com).

orig.jpg

I don't know quite what to say other than "wow" - I love 'em both!

Originally posted by =Voodoo=
very nice, were they expensive?
OH MY!!! If you ever buy one, just don't tell your wife!

This knife should be in a centerfold somewhere! Nice!

Edited for grammar.

"very nice, were they expensive?"

If you have to ask, you can't afford them. :D

Roger, those are some seriously sweet knives.

The knives are absolutely gorgeous, however I have to confess that I despise giraffe bone. Is it just me? Lots of folks are using it now in the absence of stag.

Not dissing your knives Keith, Ron and John are two of my favorites.
I just am not sure about Giraffe. Those knives deserve Mastodon at least!

Despise? That's a pretty strong word.

I won't call giraffe bone my favorite material. Giraffes are goofy animals, and their bones don't really offer much in terms of looks or texture when compared to stag, ivory, oosic, buffalo horn, sheep horn, or other animal body parts. That said, it's readily available, can be died easily, and provides a durable grip material with "natural" characteristics. I think it looks great on Roger's knife. The color works exceedingly well with the etched damascus blade and fittings, and I'm sure it will hold up well over time.

As an aside, I like the blade on Roger's much better than the other. I feel that that extra belly near the point makes a huge difference in the overall flow of the knife.

Despise? That's a pretty strong word.

Umm, yeah. I rank it way up there with the multicolored,stabilized, dyed "WildWood" and some of the kudu I have seen.

No where in nature does there exist a gray (or blue, or yellow, or pink) giraffe bone. I guess thats my hesitation. It is certainly attractive. I don't think that is my issue. I am dealing with it. I agree with your assessment on the blade grinds Wulf-it is amazing what 1/8" makes.

I am probably in the minority here. At BLADE last year I saw a new Fisk bowie with Green "Wildwood". It sold pretty quick. At the same show I say an Anders knife with blue Giraffe bone, from the elusive blue Giraffe from the "Bear in the Big Blue House" show I guess.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Anthony,

I won't say that "giraffe bone" jumps to my mind when asked which is my favorite handle material (that would be stag, followed by, um stag). That said, I very much like the use of giraffe bone on this knife for the following reasons:

1) It looks great! Entirely subjective, I admit, but I like the monochromatic look it lends the knife. Plus it provides nice visual texture with the darker streaks (the surface is actually quite smooth and highly polished).

2) Giraffe bone is quite dense, and, particularly when stabilized, is far less prone to shrinking and cracking than the ivories. The worst shrinkage I have ever experienced on a custom knife was one mammoth ivory scales.

3) I've got a lot of stag-handled knives (see point #1 above ;) ). It's nice to have some variation in the collection.

Voodoo,

Expensive? I'll answer by saying that I feel I received tremendous value for the money.

Cheers,

Roger Pinnock

Edited to add: I agree with Anthony's observation that there seems to be a lot of giraffe bone in use these days.

I had the pleasure of handling RogerP's knife this weekend...although this is not my usual type of knife, I have to say it was AWESOME! What a great piece to have in a collection!

RL

Wow. Incredible work. Giraffe bone or not, they are stunning.
I haven't handled giraffe bone, but it looks fine to me.

Note,
This is a not a criticism, just my personal opinion.
Many people, especially the makers love Giraffe because of its toughness and stability and its ability to take a color.
It is a really good handle material for knives as long as you like it.

I don't like sheephorn much either. Reminds me too much of knarled, fungus filled toenails.

Two wonderful looking knives Roger. I love the halfpenny S-guards and the damascus. Two great makers got together to make you a couple of knives to be prized.

Giraffe bone is not my favorite handle material either, but I have seen some giraffe bone that looked amazingly like mammoth ivory. So close, the average person couldnt tell. I love the blade and overall style of these two knives though.

The mosaic damscus has a really stunning pattern - definitely Zebras there.

I think knowing the history behind a piece such as this really adds to its attraction.

I have also seen a couple of Fitch/ Crowell collaborations on Knifeart - a growing trend? Or has this sort of thing been happening for a while?

Stephen F

Originally posted by Anthony Lombardo
I don't like sheephorn much either. Reminds me too much of knarled, fungus filled toenails.

I will never look at sheephorn the same way again :eek:

Well Anthony, you certainly don't leave any doubt about your opinion of things, do you?

By the way, in an earlier post you referred to these knives belonging to Keith. Not sure if you ment me, but they are not mine, they belong to Roger.

Back