• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad RONINUSMC stole my money. Beware!

Our colleague Turbo4x4 is in Russia. It's possible that this will work out okay in the end, but it would be nice to hear from the seller.

Oh, and don't use Friends and Family.

Maybe this factored in the use of F&F with the extra concerns of selling and shipping international, making it easier to scam. I assume the seller asked for it or required it? Would be nice to hear from RONINUSMC. Not very becoming of someone bearing the USMC acronym...

Our colleague Turbo4x4 is in Russia. It's possible that this will work out okay in the end, but it would be nice to hear from the seller.

Oh, and don't use Friends and Family.
That is also a consideration.

No communication and f&f is a huge issue. @RONINUSMC needs to chime in here.

The dishonesty started before money was exchanged for requesting a F&F payment. Misusing PayPal services to cheat PayPal out of the fee. That lack of integrity should have been your first clue of expecting trouble.
No matter how people try to justify it, F&F payments for product or services is stealing plain and simple

Last edited:
I looked at the listing, and the seller does say '$xxx shipped' midway down the page. That implies, to me, Goods & Services. The listing doesn't say 'f&f'. Somebody did post a link to the rules for selling, and the seller responded.

I don't have any idea what may have been communicated privately back and forth between the two parties. We don't know why the seller hasn't responded. We don't know that he won't respond.

The buyer is in Russia, that's a risky place to send merchandise. If the knife does arrive safely, it could well take months. We all know that the buyer claims to have sent money, and if he did in fact send money, he chose to ignore page after page of warnings not to use Friends & Family.

I've seen a lot of these threads, and the first party to complain always gets the sympathy of the group. The seller may well be a problem, I don't know. But we're only seeing one side of the argument. We've seen more than one instance where the first guy to complain ended up being at fault.

Like I said earlier, it'd be nice to hear from the seller. I am bothered by the name calling by folks not knowing the whole story. Why not let this thing unfold a bit before we light the torches?

Like I said earlier, it'd be nice to hear from the seller. I am bothered by the name calling by folks not knowing the whole story. Why not let this thing unfold a bit before we light the torches?
It does sometime take time for these things to unfold. It is very disconcerting that the seller has been active on BF and yet not responded - not even an "I can't respond now, but I will later" type of response.

1. The shipping address in the New Hampshire. No INTL shipping.
2. Seller may well be a problem, so I still haven’t put him a negative feedback in the profile.
3. I still waiting any answer from seller.
4. I paid by FF many times here- even after changing the rules, apparently I was too gullible to the seller with a lot of positive feedbacks. Why then do we need these feedbacks ?!
Thank you all for your kind words, I opened the thread to somehow affect the seller.
The next step will be a negative feedback in his profile.
I never did this, it’s unpleasant.

Ugh...this kind of stuff gives me heartburn. A very pricey lesson has been learned (hopefully he will be made whole by PayPal or by @RONINUSMC actually sending him the knife). The case just got much more interesting since the purchaser has a US address...no risky shipping to Russia. Best of luck to Turbo4x4.

1. The shipping address in the New Hampshire. No INTL shipping.
2. Seller may well be a problem, so I still haven’t put him a negative feedback in the profile.
3. I still waiting any answer from seller.
4. I paid by FF many times here- even after changing the rules, apparently I was too gullible to the seller with a lot of positive feedbacks. Why then do we need these feedbacks ?!
Thank you all for your kind words, I opened the thread to somehow affect the seller.
The next step will be a negative feedback in his profile.
I never did this, it’s unpleasant.

Just so we are clear on some of the details.
Did the seller require you to pay F&F instead of the standard G&S payment via PayPal?

Not trying to dox him, but the number gets a full name and address as well. Don't suggest going there but might help legally get the money back

If it helps it looks like he's used the username ronin1194 in the past also

Just so we are clear on some of the details.
Did the seller require you to pay F&F instead of the standard G&S payment via PayPal?
The seller offered a choice - F&F or G&S plus fees.

I did a little searching earlier and found this... posted a few days ago.
https://www.armslist.com/posts/1039...-sale-trade--emerson-kack-sf-wtt-for-handgun-

The KACK #54 is also listed on another site for sale or trade as well.
So this is really theft. Until the last moment I was hoping that this was some kind of force majeure

Turbo, You need to use the info about the knife you purchased being for sale by Him in another place in the Paypal dispute.
There is a chance to win still IMHO..

I agree that persistent and polite conversations with a PayPal supervisor is the best option, at this point.
If you used a major credit card to fund your purchase, call them up and push for a chargeback. You may need to declare something appropriate, like you being the victim of fraud for instance.

The seller offering a choice after advertising it for xxxx shipped, and one choice being tbe price plus feed, is wrong and, as far as I am concerned, against the site rules.

The seller offered a choice - F&F or G&S plus fees.

So this is really theft. Until the last moment I was hoping that this was some kind of force majeure

Thanks for the clarification. If the payment was funded with a credit card you may be able to do a charge back. How that would work since it was F&F I don't know but check into it if that's the case. Hopefully, the seller will respond here and clear this up and resolve the issue
@RONINUSMC

Thanks for the clarification. If the payment was funded with a credit card you may be able to do a charge back. How that would work since it was F&F I don't know but check into it if that's the case. Hopefully, the seller will respond here and clear this up and resolve the issue
@RONINUSMC

Call the credit card company and they remove the charge. Not sure what paypal will do to both accounts but at least you don't have to pay it.

Back