Rope cutting failure

I was wondering about the rope cutting tests done of Busse knives. I recently tried to do a test myself to determine the edge holding ability of my BM. I was very surprised that it performed much less than expected/advertised. I first profile the edge with a 150 belt by hand. Then I used a course DMT and lastly a leather strop with white compound. This left an edge that would shave very easily and was also very aggresive. I got out some 1 inch barn rope a started to push cut in a 1.5 inch cutting area. After 10 cuts the knife still shaved. After twenty cuts it couldn't scrap hair.
I am not quite sure what to conclude from this. I emailed Cliff Stamp before posting publically to ask his opinion. He concluded that it a) could be the kind of rope used, b) if the edge was free of wire edges or not, c) how it was used(a push or slicing motion) to cut and what it cut into and d) a defective knife or possible a conbination of these factors. Again I was surprised its lack of ability to hold and edge but this may be because of any four of these factors.
I would appreciate some feed back from Jerry if possible regarding this matter. I wish only to understand why the knife is not performing as it is supposed to, whether it's my improper sharpening or a defective knife etc.
Regards,
Lukers

What, you actually cut something with your Busse?!?
I'm not sure, but I think you better check the Fine Print in the Busse warranty 'cause I think that you may have voided your warranty by ACTUALLY CUTTING something with this poor BM LOL:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't intend to make light of what you found and I'm sure Jerry will adress you experience with the edge, But my "user" Busse is a killer B right now and I haven't needed to even strop it yet and have been impressed with it. Stuff that has rolled edges on my other knives have had no impact on the KB edge. I'm currious what might be up with your BM :confused:

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

I would definitely call the shop about this. This seems highly irregular, from my experience alone.

Hate to sound like I have no faith here,but I have had the same experience with other knives and the rope test as well.I have never tried my busse,but I have had other knives that claimed this and they to dulled rather quickly.I think there may be many factors one which may be is what the blade may be hitting behind the rope.Is it wood or something harder,or the edge may have been profiled way to thin which would cause blunting much faster.Many factors may be possible,I do not feel however your BM to be faulty.I would just use the hell out of it,youll know if there is a real problem by everyday use.

Just a wild a$$ guess on my part, but was the "barn rope"
old? i.e., having large amount of dirt worked into it over time? I would be surprised if most demos are not done with new rope. Dirty rope will definitely have an adverse effect on a blade.

This is why we do our performance tests "live". We don't want there to be any doubt about our knives' ability to perform.

I have seen a shaving-sharp knife hit dirty rope and lose its shaving edge within moments. Rope that hits the floor even once will pick up a boat load of debris and dirt. Keep in mind that grinding belts are basically made out of dirt that is glued onto fabric.

I have no doubt that I can sharpen your exact blade and duplicate our rope tests on clean, out of the box rope. . . . No doubt whatsoever.

"I emailed Cliff Stamp before posting publically to ask his opinion." --- Lukers

I thought I put this rumor to rest. . . . I am NOT Cliff Stamp ;) If you have any other questions Luke, I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Always feel free to call me at (419) 923-6471.

Jerry :)

Hey all,
I just wrote a detailed explaination concerning the rope cutting and somehow I deleted it before posting. But basically here it is....
-the rope was over 60 years old and was used in a dusty and dirty barn. I kept it underneath my workbench where it got tool steel dust, more dirt and other crap in it. Because of this, the edge holding of INFI was greatly compromised. Had this been clean rope, my hands would be blistered and bleeding and my arms bare because I'd still be cutting and shaving.
-I have had my BM for over a year. A year of hell I should say. I have used it for limbing, digging, throwing, standing on when wedged in a crack, etc. INFI is very impact resistant because after cutting through deer legs, pelvises, and removing the heads of the two deer, there was no edge deformation and the edge was restored to shaving with a few passes on a ceramic. I have cut magnets, hit steel fence posts and cut framing nails with little or no damage.
-I mentioned that the BM could possibly be defective, only for the sake of being objective. However, there is NO WAY it is defective because it has proven itself to be the best performing blade that I have ever seen or heard about. Cutting the rope I used is about like cutting a piece of rolled up sand paper.
I hope this explains this issue better,
Regards
Luke

Dirt rope is like a sponge of abbrasives and other edge damaging material.

I knew Jerry would weigh in here and offer any asistance possible. My "user" Natural Outlaw gets a very light touch up once in a while after the same types of general outdoor uses that have caused other knives to require serious sharpening.

Get the knife to Jerry for a Busse shop sharpening then go put some blisters on your hands. :D

You wouldn't believe how quickly a blade dulls from cutting bailers twine and sisal after it has been out in the field.
Even if it has just been sitting around in the open air on a plant that's had it's top tied and never touched the soil, wind kicks up dust and the stuff is laden with crud that just burns your edge up in a hurry:(

My Mean Street and Police Recruit have seen their share of dirty rope, but they do hold up ten times better than any ATS-34 or VG-10 blades I've subjected to the stuff:)

Thats right! Plus the fact the rope was dirter than I had realized. My dad told me today that he and his dad used that rope to lift hay into the barn. They would hook the tractor to it and pulley up into the loft. But....the rope was often drug through the muddy creek and dirt when this was done. Yeah that explains it.
I did somemore rope cutting tests on the dirty rope only with other knives. My SAK Trailmaster lost it's shaving edge and ability to cut after one time through! An 0-1 knife I made lost it after 2 times through. Hummm....the BM made it through 20 times...not bad!! So Strabs, your 10 to 1 ratio is about right!

Back