Rope trick

Nothing new to the old hands, but thought I'd offer it again for the benefit of new folk.

Sawing through a tough piece of rope is a quick way to dull a good knife. Next time you need to cut a bunch of rope, use this old sailor's trick. Lay the rope on a stump, log, or piece of lumber with no nails in it. Set the edge of your knife on it and give the spine of the blade a smart rap with a baton (stout stick, etc.). The knife will "shear" through the rope with a smooth, clean, cut, and little to no damage to your knife's edge. You can cut a lot of rope this way, and usually bring your edge back to hair popping with nothing more than a strop, at most a few light strokes of a chakma, then strop.

Sarge

Thanks Sarge.

That's exactly why fixed-blade rigging knives have evolved to have little or no curve to the cutting edge, a pretty thick back, and often a handle that puts your knuckles higher than the blade edge (like a Chef's knife). That last bit prevents your knife-holding hand from getting its knuckles bashed, when you baton through a rope.

t.

Thanks Sarge, I had always usee serrated knives on rope. Problem is who carries a serrated knife around with them? When camping/hunting I carry a hunting knife (next time it'll be my Khuk) and as always my Bulldog cattle knife. Both are carbon steel. I don't like stainless. There is no serrated edge on either though. This will help. Thanks.

Andy

Andy, old dogs can't learn new tricks, but we're slap full of old ones. Did I ever tell you the one about magnetizing your blade to help pick up small hooks out of your tackle box when your fingers are wet and cold? See what I mean? ;) :D

Sarge

aproy1101 said:
Thanks Sarge, I had always use serrated knives on rope. Problem is who carries a serrated knife around with them?

Andy
I do (well, when boating). Spyderco Harpy. Might have to cut a "line" in an emergency.

Will try the baton trick. Possibly on a fish.

Tx., Sg.

Ad Astra

The street LEOs I know are carrying curved, serrated blades for safety belt cuts to free victims in auto accidents.

Didn't the AirForce recently come out with a new escape tool for issue to pilots? Can't remember if there were serations on that design. I seem to remember it had an impact end to fracture glass/plastic.

Good tip Sylvrfalcn. I make a lot of rope, and cut small lines with heavy shears usually. With knives, nothing beats a quick chop with a khukuri with the rope lying on a phone book. When the rope is free, a Spyderco Harpy will rip through it. Next time I get a big order, I'll give your method a try.

Back