Rostfrei

Random

I PWN |\|00bs
I have seen a lot of discussion about the quality of various balisongs, BM, Jag, MGC...etc Where does Rostfrei fall in the rankings?

Rostfrei, is not a manufacturer. It is the German word for "Rust Free" or stainless. Many Taiwan and China companies put it on there knives to make it look like they were made in Germany or imply that they are quality.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
All sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

I recently bought one of the rostfrei's at a flea market (please forgive me i am a beginner)for about 10 bucks. the handles and latch quickly loosened up and have been a pain since. But its got one hell of an edge.

My son purchased one a couple of weeks ago, and within a day one of the pins had broken. This was under light use mind you. I fixed the pins with nails and it seems to be working well now.

does any one know a good place to get a GOOD Rostfrei balisong, that has a sharp blade, and good pins, and will last a while??

thanx

------------------
QuickSilver--"you just gotta be quick....."

Buy a "Rostfrei", fix the pins once they break and continually sharpen it.

------------------
Cameron
"It takes a killer...to stop a killer"
uriel.gif

quicksilver27, I got mine from the military. they keep a whole bunch of blades. I got mine for $10. It doesn't look too great, but the blade is great and the pins are really strong. Even the other engineers where I work said it will last forever. Anyway, check with the army or the marines.

My son bought his from our local cutlery store in the mall. The pins are crap, and the handles are a little too soft for me, but the blade is holding its edge well. He paid less than $20.00.

To reiterate, knives labeled "Rostfrei" are not any particular brand. Do any of you have a Swiss Army Knife (a real one)? Look at the blade. Somewhere on it will be the word "rostfrei". Victorinox does this because they make their knives in a country that speaks German (well, part of it does). All it means, as Mike T said, is "stainless".

It would be a fallacy, then, to say "My rostfrei bali was of low quality" and then infer that others labeled "rostfrei" would be of similar quality. This would be similar to claiming that, say, a cheap United Cutlery folder with a blade of 420J2 stainless is equal in quality to a Spyderco in CPM440V stainless because "both are stainless."

Back