Rough Rider Large Congress - Thoughts?

Hi all,

I have a Rough Rider congress I use for whittling. It works well but is a little small. I recently saw that RR makes a large congress, about a half inch longer than my current congress. Try as I might, I can't find a review of this knife. It's RR 1503. Has anyone used this knife? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Or if you haven't, do you know of anyone who has reviewed it online? I'd be grateful for your help and thoughts.

Thanks!

The fit and finish will be similar. The steel will be the exact same. I've had a dozen Rough Riders and can't say I've been disappointed yet! If you like the pattern and the steel, then there's no reason NOT to get one.

Thanks for both of your replies! I think I'll be making the RR large congress my next knife purchase.

I hope you like it and the one you get meets your expectations. I have always been impressed with their overall fit and finish for such a low cost slip joint. I have a few that I bought a while back to look over carefully and compare to the Frost Cutlery line. At the time, my sense was that they should be about equal. Clearly the Rough Riders are better.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and suggestions; one of the problems with RR knives is that, because they are so affordable, you always want to buy one more!

Yeah. I generally would purchase more than one at the same time simply because of the cost. You might want two "whittlers" for example or a trapper pattern too. I own I believe three RR slippies. One I paid too much for at a knife show as at the time I had no idea what they sold for and trusted the seller that the price was pretty competitive. It was about 20% higher than the typical pricing you see at the Rough Rider store. But it isn't something I loose sleep over. I have spent over a thousand dollars at gun shows on a firearm only to discover a problem that I did not see when I first handled it..... That means a big loss if I sell again.

Back