Round bar knife steels?

Trying to track down some round bars in 1/2” or 3/4” at most of something in the .7-.8 percent carbon.

Ideally id like 8670 or 80crv2 or 1084.

I’ve only come across 52100, w1/2, 1095 and then drill rod.

I could use o1 but rather something a little simpler to heat treat.

Appreciate any help gents

Hubert appreciate that!

stacy I checked njsb and the pages with round bar nothing is even listed not out of stock just nothing.

haven’t heard of dictum checking now thank you

Call njsb on the phone. Nearly guaranteed that they have more than what is listed on their website.

Appreciate it fellas but found w1 on McMaster and the tool steel supply places we use at at work. Trying to avoid the fast quench stuff for now. I’ve never liked 1095 because of that reason. Shooting for the 1080 ish stuff

I used to get square 1075 from Aldo (NJSB). Some of the farrier/blacksmith supply places also carry it. It forged easily and took a good hamon.

You might consider 5160, not sure where to buy some but it should come for a good price and it makes an excellent knife.

Hoss

5160 and similar alloys can be found at custom spring shops in both round and flat in many sizes.

If you want bigger stuff check out your John Deere repair shop. I have the load shaft 5160 that was given to me from my local place. it's 1 1/4 to 1 1/2.

Back