RR: Cold Steel R1 Military Classic

Horus,
I have one but have used it minimally.:(

The edge thickness is almost too thick out toward the tip of the blade(the last inch of edge in particular).
Still useful, but just a tad too thick for my liking.

I've been mulling recently about whether to take it out to Mr. Beltsander and thin it out a little.

The black Linen Micarta handle was a little slick when wet, so I sanded out some shallow finger grooves and this helped retention a good deal.

The sheath is okay, nothing to write home about, but okay.
The sheath is made from 7-8 oz. leather, and the sharpening stone pouch on it will accomodate a smaller block diamond hone.
The one I put in there is from Eze-Lap, I think.
I can't really remember because it's been so long ago since I put the bloody thing in there. Sorry.

It really is a decent knife, but you may find you'll need to do a little tweaking.
Then again, maybe not.
It's really kind of subjective. You may find it to be perfect for your needs as is.

I hope this helps.

Horus, the Cold Steel R1 Military is a knock off of the legendary Randall #1. If you like the shape but want more quality and a longer wait (unless you can find one in the secondary market) try a Randall, or at least investigate them. They are at www.randallknives.com. I've had about ten #1's over the years and have another one on order with Randall (should be here this November). They are classics, great users, and hold their value. they are custom made according to what my dictionary defines "custom" as but not the way the "guild" defines it.

Regards,

Bruce Woodbury

What are you looking for in this knife? Do you need a real workhorse? A good user with classic appeal? Mititary vs. Camping work?

Something to consider - the Blackjack 1-7's fit the same pattern as the Cold Steel R1 and can be cheaper on the secondary market (Blackjack has gone out of business once or twice but, may be back now). I really like mine (BJ 1-7) for the classic appeal but, find I use other knives much more for everyday duty. I guess the main thing is it is a touch light in blade weight for my use. It is also a little long for everyday use in my part of the world. This knife would be much better in a knife fight though then what I typically carry which I regard as a tool like I would a shovel or a pair of pliers.

Someday, I'll get one in this pattern from Charlie Ochs of Oxe Forge in Florida. Same classic lines, a MasterSmith forge and, a real work of art. I guess that covers the spectrum of things from low end (my BJ 1-7 cost $65 at a gun show) to a true custom ~$700. The Cold Steel fits in the middle in terms of price and quality.

For the price - it's not a bad knife - and you don't have to wait for it. I think the leather sheath is very nice for a knife in this price range.

I had BFM Jake Evans twick mine a little - sharp the swedge and make the point scary wicked sharp. He also drilled the handle for a lanyard and put in a nice leather strap...

It used to be my night-drawer knife - the last resort-fighting blade, next to my Gun. It doesn't get much use there thankfully... but it is a decent fighter.

It was replaced by Jerry Hossom 8" Fighter...
Which is a REAL fighting demon..

I traded for one a couple of years ago and was slightly disappointed. It was replaced by a Cattaraugus 225Q, a much better knife IMO.

Back