RR - SOG Paratool.

I would like to have your opinions on the Paratool. I would particularly like to know how the Paratool compares to the Gerber 600 series, the Victorinox Swisstool, the Leatherman Supertool and Pulse.TIA.

I have an older Paratool (from about 1996).

The "folding head" feature is both the boon and the bane of this model. Tighten up the friction on the head screw too much, and the thing is difficult to open. Loosen the friction too much, and it will close up on you if in the angled position - ouch.

The little flipper tab broke off the first week I got the thing, and decided it was poorly designed and never bothered to send it back to SOG to get it repaired. I know they would have repaired it, but the crummy little tack weld was never going to hold anyway. I have just gotten by without the tab.

The tools all work fine, but they don't lock. They kind of lock if you open the tool and fold the handles back together, but then you have this big chunk of steel in the way - pretty clumsy.

So if you really have to have the angled plier and if you really have to have it fold up to be a little more compact, they you can probably live with the rest of the design.

I got it as a gift, I wish I had received a SOG PowerPlier at the time.

Last Christmas, I was given a SOG SwitchPlier. Beautiful tool, great clip sheath, great pliers. The tools lock with a simple rocker clamp that fits into a groove cut into the back of each tool - very elegant. Not as many tools as some of the other designs, but it satisfies my needs and also comes with the socket holder tool.

I think the Switchplier is a great tool, a great piece of industrial design, and it has a gimmick that you will never tire of.

Hi Architect,
Originally posted by Architect
...Tighten up the friction on the head screw too much, and the thing is difficult to open. Loosen the friction too much, and it will close up on you if in the angled position - ouch.

The little flipper tab broke off the first week I got the thing, and decided it was poorly designed and never bothered to send it back to SOG to get it repaired. I know they would have repaired it, but the crummy little tack weld was never going to hold anyway. I have just gotten by without the tab.
If one's ParaTool plier head does not have the appropriate amount of tension where it's suppose to, a misconception is that tighening and loosening the bolts would correct it. The tension is created elsewhere and would require service here at SOG to restore the correct amount.

Regarding the thumb tab ("little flipper tab" :) ), you're correct; it would have been repaired without a problem. If you would like us to service your tool under warranty, here's our warranty return instructions.

I own a Paratool of the same vintage as Architects. It is the only Multitool I have owned, so I cannot really compare it to others. I have had little need for using the angled head but it has come in handy at times. It does have a useable angle range of about 40 degrees. The thumb tab on mine is bolted on, not welded. It has not broken, and it allows me to open the tool with one hand. However it tends to wear through the soft style sheath. The handles are comfortable since the tools are located on the inside which is great, but... I have found occasionally the tools can slide out and interfere with using the pliers. It does have a philips head driver which some tools do not, it has been very useful. Like Architect, I have adjusted the bolts which connect the plier head to the handles. Not enough tension results in the head being sloppy...so I adjusted it back to what seemed factory specs. No big deal. Although the tools do not lock they will not crunch your fingers when the handles are in the closed position.
Overall I am happy with my Paratool. It does what I need it to and has gotten me out of a jam or two (Like when my 2 year old locked us in the bedroom and I used it to take the door handle off...but thats another story). If I was shopping now I would also take a good look at the SOG Powerlock S60. It uses compound leverage and has locking tools. The SOG tools also use Hex bolts so you can change out tools, others use security torx fasteners making changes a hassle. Often the tool must go back to the dealer and a charge may be involved.

Well...thats my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Gord.

Hi There!

Out here in the Far East, people just seem to appreciate any plier tool that's stamped "USA". Unfortunately we've had our share of shoddy rip-off's too. And a lot of it looked like something out from a Coast Cutlery catalog. I've seen Gerber Multiplier duplicates and not forgetting Leatherman's copies too (By the way, Leatherman seems to be the top choice). Pretty much like the case with Swiss Army Knives. Really sad, considering how many folks buy "bargain priced" SAK's, thinking that its the real deal (Speaking of which, without doubt if you want quality, the Victorinox Swiss Tool offers the best finish I've seen in a plier tool, but a Super Leatherman offers a more humane package to lug around with the day through).

In spite of all of these countless "priced friendly" counterfeits, never have I come across a Paratool being replicated. Maybe that speaks about the complexity that goes into the design of every Sog Knives product, and in this case the first-of-its-kind Paratool. The fabrication of its handles is probably far too complicated and costly for copy-cats to consider as a pattern for quick and easy duplication. Only one other American cutlery company ever thought of rivaling this feat, and so out came the Buck Tool from Buck Knives, which if one considers the facts, could have chosen a cosmetic make over with either the original Leatherman or Gerber Multiplier. Instead they went ahead with something as cool looking as the Paratool. Besides if memory serves me well, the Buck Tool advertisement spoke of improving the short comings of existing rival plier tools. Strange how they decided on a very similar handle configuration to the Paratool but failed to understand that opposing twist motion openings are cumbersome and prone to the abuse of brute strength. The thumb tab on the Paratool had the advantage of fast, one-handed openings. But perhaps is "a bit in the way" during non-use mode. However I have to agree, that at times the pliers head does swing unexpectedly during use. Nothing a pair of spanners can't fix. The slight draw back for most of these first generation plier tools (no matter which brand or make) is the tendency for its individual tools to flip back partially into the handle during use. This is where experience will teach the user to be more cautious when applying pressure at certain angles.

I personally find the Paratool an interesting design solution. And though is outdated by the numerous models available today, it can still hold on its own merit as a spectacular design achievement. I am certain a lot of time and money went into the development of this key milestone project by Sog Knives - a note worthy tradition that continues till this day. Own without regret.

Krizzard. out.

Back