RTak just because

So as the title states , the price was right . Now I've read all that I could find good and bad . Now the spec plus series in 5160 is phenomenal from my understanding ? So someone please enlighten me on why the sporadic failures with the RTak knives . Ontario has years of experience with this steel ? Did they experience a bad spell at some point ? Normally I'd consider 3/16 plenty and still do for most large knives . But on this knife it looks questionable "to me" !
From my findings it was intended to be a cross between a machete and a large knife for jungle use . Is this to imply that hardwoods weren't meant to be it's forte ? Now what I did notice in my brief use so far is that it doesn't take a lot to make this blade dig in . Could this be the problem swinging for the fence so to speak and then tourqing the blade to free it ? Or could it simply be that a FFG really is a bad choice for a "Survival" knife with this much mass .

You could try convexing the grind and see if you like it. Number one time test your blades in a secure safe environment before depending on them for survival. Even 1000 dollar customs fail. Just try it test it and if it holds up have no fear in using it. I have never bought a rtak because I purchased the junglas but I was a die hard esee fan at that time other Ontario blades have made me give a second look as the sp8 and the rat1 been fully surprised and satisfied. Glad I purchased them.

Its handy...

For heavier stuff get a SP-53 while you can. RTAK can also be handy, my area its not as effective where I found my SP-51 and 53 work great on alder brush and black spruce and other local vile botanical. Other places the RTAK works like a dream it seems.

Large knife and machete seems to be a good description, as it can be used as BOTH it can save a tool or two if needed. I use my larger blades as a tool system, but each can over lap in case the canoe goes over. People wonder why I "waste Time" strapping the pack to to the gunnel of the canoe, its only a short time insurance for the precaution after the portage but every one wants to go go go go now now now! Funny how they do it after their first tipping.

So as the title states , the price was right . Now I've read all that I could find good and bad . Now the spec plus series in 5160 is phenomenal from my understanding ? So someone please enlighten me on why the sporadic failures with the RTak knives . Ontario has years of experience with this steel ? Did they experience a bad spell at some point ? Normally I'd consider 3/16 plenty and still do for most large knives . But on this knife it looks questionable "to me" !
From my findings it was intended to be a cross between a machete and a large knife for jungle use . Is this to imply that hardwoods weren't meant to be it's forte ? Now what I did notice in my brief use so far is that it doesn't take a lot to make this blade dig in . Could this be the problem swinging for the fence so to speak and then tourqing the blade to free it ? Or could it simply be that a FFG really is a bad choice for a "Survival" knife with this much mass .

I had one... sold it and got a SP51. If you’re going big, go for the home run. 1/4” thick and Sabre grind. I also preferred the Becker BK9 over it, more knife like.

Back