Ruger Mark II disassembly

Yesterday I took a CCW class.I brought a Ruger Mark II for range qualification.Ive shot about a thousand rounds through it with hardly any problems. It kept jamming up and I had to use the instructors gun to finish the course.:eek:

Im trying to strip it down. The reciever wont come out.The bolt is removed. Ive been trying to tap the reciever forward but its stuck. Any ideas?

Last edited:
dip bait going off memory (since I sold my Mk512) have you removed the spring assembly (the crap in the back strap of the handle)? The tap the muzzle back while you hold the grip firmly in place and the 2 should separate. found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17VAW8RBpE
I used the above Mk512 for my CCW qual too:p but I carry a Kimber

I finally removed it.Had to place it in a vice and tap it with a rubber mallet. Now to get it put back together correctly.

I have a PDF of the manual, if you like. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mine likes to be run dry, no oil anywhere and just a minimum of grease where it's really needed. Oil just accumulates gunk.

I cant get it back together. I seen a video where a guy does it in 30 seconds.

I didn't replace mine because it was hard to clean. I just liked the trigger on my Marvel conversion more than I liked the MK2. Padded jaw vices are wonderful things aren't they;)
+1 on they like to run dry.

Too late on the dry run
I sprayed it with Rem Oil then wiped it down. Im not taking it back apart.

Last edited:
Once ya get the hang of it, it's easy, I took my MK1 apart the first time and it sat for a year till I figured it out, on mine ya had to flip the gun upside down and slide the retention pin into the bolt and right before ya locked the bolt down ya had to pull the trigger to release some latch/pin.

There was no youtube or internet to look it up on back then:)).

My advice is once ya teach yerself how to do it, practice for a couple of hours, it'll become second nature.

IIRC they fixed that issue on later models.

dipbait go to this link http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html# then look at the chart it has the mark II listed click on it and it will bring up a pop up window nea the top on the right you will see a button to click for the manual for your gun. once it opens in a pdf save the file and you can check it out anytime. There is a huge list of all Ruger's firearms that can be done the same way. Doug

Thanks DP :thumbup:
I took the gun out and fired a magazine full , just to be sure I assembled it correctly. It worked flawlessly.

dipbait, I had one many years ago that was stolen and I had never taken that one apart. This past spring I picked up another one the competition target model and it was used and seemed stiff during operation. I downloaded the manual and took it apart to clean it and lube it and so I know what you went through. These mark IIs will fire thousands of rounds and last many years. Good luck. Doug

I had one years ago. Nice, heavy pistol, but I took it apart about ten times, and it did get easier each time, but it was never fun or easy! My Browning BDA took only seconds to take apart and put back together back then......

I have four Ruger MK II's. If you follow the instructions and/or watch a Youtube video, it becomes very easy. Its one of the most over stated issues in the gun world. If I can do it anyone can!

I agree with you guys. I have taken my newest one apart 4 or 5 times now and it is not hard at all, it just seems that way at first. My wife and I were out yesterday shooting it and ran around 200 rounds thought it. My wife likes mine so much she will be getting her own very soon. Doug

Now that Ive done it . Ill be able to do it again, as long as there is a vice and rubber mallet handy.

It'll be easier after that first time. Whenever you're going to shoot a lot of rounds through it, take something to scrape the buildup off the chamber face. Gunk will build up so that the bolt won't go into battery fully within a couple hundred rounds, sometimes.
Like MikeJackmin said, too much lube will only speed this up.

Years back I repaired one for a new owner .He couldn't take it apart so He asked me to check it out .Well they must have had a gorilla on the production line when they made it ! I had to use a large hammer with numerous full swings to take it apart .Then I did considerable filing to get it to fit properly.Fortunately the owner was not present and I never told him !!!

Back