Ruger MK III Squirrel Hunting Holster

NWA

My son has gotten me back in to Hunting for tree rats:D So I figured I needed a good way to carry one of newer toys. I spent a few hours on this yesterday and I am pretty pleased with the way it looks and works.

It is designed to be worn like a cross draw but more under my left boob than under my arm pit. I wore it for 3 hrs hunting today and it is just great. Sorry, I forgot to take my camera on our hunting excursion:eek: The hide is from my sons first Squirrel. He hunts with a 10/22.

I do have some pics of that trip. I just need to post them.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

On that shot I put my most recent knife in there. I have found that the extended tang works great for a beer bottle opener:D
IMG_2859.jpg

This shot shows the backside of the rig.
IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

And finally here is that LEK knife in hand for a look as to how it fits. I wear a large to Xtra Large glove.
IMG_2863.jpg

Thanks for looking
Nick:)

Last edited:
Nick,
Very nice rig. I need to get a scoped Ruger for small game hunting. I use a sigle action 22 right now but have to realy pick my shots.

Mike

Thanks guys. I know it was a bit of a bear to make. About the only thing I would change is maybe move the main carry strap more towards the centerline of the holster. Maybe..

Now I just need to design a "Squirrel" knife..

Wow! That is super nice Nick:thumbup:

I hunted often with a 5" bull Ruger MKII(red dot), and one like yours(but slab side version). Very accurate!

I'm a rimfire nut and also hunt with my 10" contender, or my Anschutz Exemplar(both with 3x9 Burris).

These are my favorite rimfire handguns though. May need you to make me a rig for one of these one day(if you do that work for others).
IMG_2401.jpg

Thanks Ken,those are some nice lookin pistolas you have there. I can fix you up with a hunting holster no sweat. Just say when.

The only thing is, I would need the gun or maybe you could make a wood replica and send it to me. I have made a number of 1911 holsters for others too. I made a few XD IWB rigs as well. I have to admit, that those IWB holsters don't feel too good with anything other than a 1911. Or a Kahr. It can be done though, as one of my good friends wears one of my IWB holsters for his XD. I think he just had to buy the next size up in his jeans.

That's a great rig and Ruger you got there Nick :thumbup:

On that shot I put my most recent knife in there. I have found that the extended tang works great for a beer bottle opener:D

Funny you said that, the first time I saw the extended tang on that one, I was thinking the exact same thing :D

Man, the in-hand shot is great, now this REALLY looks like a winner to me :)

Very nice. I have the 10 inch bull barrel Ruger and can't imagine how accurate it would be with a scope. It does very nicely with open sites.

Very nice. I have the 10 inch bull barrel Ruger and can't imagine how accurate it would be with a scope. It does very nicely with open sites.

I do know that the scope takes a little getting use to. I had this exact scope on one of my .44 mags and I missed a dandy 10pt @ 80 yrds with it. That was roughly 13 yrs ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.....

I was doing some pop can shooting with it on the gun pictured, and at 50 yrds without any sort of a rest I can fill that can full of holes, all day. It is amazingly consistant.

Russell, great minds think alike eh?

Back