Review RUIKE Hussar P121-G

Hello BladeForums!

This is a review of the RUIKE Knives Hussar P121-G.

qrsKvHqh.jpg

rD3I40Eh.jpg

Full Disclosure: Ruike sent me this knife for review (a long time ago, I've been dragging my feet on getting it out, sorry Ruike).

So for all I know this is a hand picked knife that represents the best knife ever made in human history. I highly doubt that is what happened but you all should know how this knife came to me. I did have my eye on this knife before Ruike contacted me though. I loved the size, blade shape, and the price given the materials and features. All of those attributes put this knife on my radar.

Also, who makes this knife some might take issue with. I could not find concrete evidence of who the OEM of this knife is. The Ruike rep I am in contact couldn't even answer. Rumors are it is SRM. As many of you know SRM and its affiliates are linked to cloning and counterfeiting. I'm not going to get into all of that because there just aren't a lot of facts involved in that discussion. What I will say is that lots of quality companies use or have used SRM as their OEM, including big companies that most of us buy from and respect. This is no different.

Ruike is the knife division of Fenix Flashlights. They know how to manufacture quality and bring the same to their knife brand. The fact that Ruike is essentially Fenix is important because they are a well established and respected brand that has an established network infrastructure that most importantly includes customer service and dealers. Other start up Chinese companies cannot claim these things.

On to the review of the knife!

Here is a link with all the technical specs. I won't bore you with breaking them all down. Here's a link with all the details:
http://ruikeknives.com/store/product/hussar-p121-g/

And a link to knifecenter:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RK...ipper-14c28n-satin-blade-od-green-g10-handles

How the knife came to me:
0MHVtf6h.jpg

Overall impressions:

Overall I find this knife excellent for the purpose and price point. What strikes me immediately is the look. It looks very much like a Kwaiken style knife. The blade also reminds me of an up swept trailing point Persian sort of style. I find it very good looking.

The handles are G-10 with well milled steel liners. The steel is 14c28n which is a fine steel especially at this price point. In my use, I found the steel to perform as well as the same steel from other companies, meaning the heat treat seems to be well done. I will also add that this 14c28n performs better than the 8cr you find in most other Chinese blades at this price point. Speaking of price point, when I got this knife for review the price was sub $30. You can still find it for just above that price which makes this a great value. What also adds to the value of this knife is that it runs on bearings (I know some may not care for bearings but I see it as a plus for this knife). That is not something you often find in competitive options. The bearings on this knife are well done, and along with the dialed in detent on my example, make the flipping action on this blade not only supremely functional, but fun to fidget with.

Here's a video of the action:

The centering, lock up, and grinds are spot on. Deep carry pocket clip works great.
S23gOwvh.jpg

qbqpmV1h.jpg

EO3ntkkh.jpg

3nRVldLh.jpg

jUfuNK6h.jpg

4AM7F3jh.jpg

pnuis0fh.jpg

Taking it Apart:
Taking the Ruike p121 apart was simple and straightforward. This makes maintenance a breeze. I'll let the image do the talking here but I would like to note a few things. Ruike uses some sort of grease as the lubricant. This stuff was too thick. While the action was very good out of box, it was made excellent by removing the grease and using a less viscous lubricant (I use Blue Lube from Benchmade). Also, while there was adequate loc-tite used, please note that I did have to reapply on the pivot to keep it from loosening up with use. Over all, after disassembly, I can say that I am even more impressed by the build quality.

After Cleaning:
tgd2gpSh.jpg

After several months of EDC use. Looks as expected, a bit dirty but still functioning perfectly:
2wf6NZVh.jpg

Comparing it to a PM2:
Here's some shots with a PM2 and one with a ZT 0452cf. Note how thick the handle is. Some will not like this as it adds weight and makes it carry thick in the pocket. For me, neither of those things were an issue.

9oK46zmh.jpg

pSyAjd6h.jpg

With ZT 0452cf:
SyDoD10h.jpg

In Use:
I forced my self to carry the Ruike P121 as my sole EDC folder for an entire month (except when I was in water where I carry a Spyderco Salt knife). This was no small task for me as I generally rotate EDC folders every couple days.

The Hussar did everything I asked of it and was a pleasure to use. By far the task I used it for most was opening boxes and breaking down card board. I don't measure things behind the edge or generally get fussy about how thick a blade is, but to me this blade seems thin and slicey. It glides through card board with ease. Other tasks I used it for were cutting plastic tags and zip ties, cutting the occasional sandwich or burrito in half, and trimming a few small branches when out in the yard. Basically I used this knife as I would any folder in a general urban EDC roll. Besides getting a bit dirty and sticky with tape glue, the knife was no worse for wear. No rust or corrosion even after only wiping it off with a napkin while out and about.

The blade did get dull as expected. It fared better than other steels in this price range like 8cr and AUS8, offering longer edge retention and better corrosion resistance. All I needed to do to bring the razor edge back was spend a minute or two on a ceramic rod. I found this steel and how Ruike heat treats it to punch above its price point.

4i7JrHGh.jpg

Some issues:
I do have some issues I noticed. There are a few minor issues that are mostly aesthetic to me and one glaring issue that I think most will want to take note of.

Two aesthetic issues stick out to me. These really aren't issues but are more personal opinion. First, the polish of the clip and liners. It is shinny! See the pictures throughout this review. I'd much rather have a more subdued look. Next, there is one stand off that is not like the others. I don't get it. Maybe there is an explanation for this but I can't think of one. Look at those two beautifully sculpted stand offs, and then the plain old post between them! What gives!
pnuis0fh.jpg

Okay, now for the big glaring issue that I think most will notice in use. The edges on the handle scales are sharp as hell! I can understand that for the overall look of the knife, it may be aesthetically necessary to make the scales this way. However, for any sort of extended hard use without gloves, those sharp edges dig into your hands and are painful. As a light EDC knife, this won't really be a problem but if you are going to hard use this knife, you will need to sand the edges of the g10 down a bit.

ST4kuCah.jpg

pyPx3l4h.jpg

Here is my hand after some extensive card board break down:
hKZviZlh.jpg

In Conclusion:
Overall all, this is a fantastic blade. On paper, you get a large knife with great materials (G-10 and 14c28n) and higher end features like bearings, extensive milling, and a deep carry clip. The knife is very well made and easy to maintain. And you get all this for a great price that beats many of the major competitors in the budget EDC folder market. That last point is a major point that should not be over looked. Big companies like Spyderco, Kershaw, Ontario, CRKT, SOG, and even other up and coming Chinese brands should take note in the value you get with the Hussar P121 specifically and the other offerings from Ruike in general. Lastly, you get a knife backed up by a company that has been in the gear game a long time with Fenix.

If you like this type of knife aesthetically (Kwaiken, trailing point, Persian blade types), the Hussar is a great way to scratch that itch for not a lot of money. There was one issue that I think needs to be address in the sharp edges of the handle scales. Aside from that, the Hussar is a home run, especially for the price. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Good review! Those handle edges do look sharp, but nothing a fine sanding block couldn't take care of. I like the blade shape. The upsweep and dual grinds of the blade remind me of a BK15. And yeah, what's up with that generic looking post between the standoffs?

Good review! Those handle edges do look sharp, but nothing a fine sanding block couldn't take care of. I like the blade shape. The upsweep and dual grinds of the blade remind me of a BK15. And yeah, what's up with that generic looking post between the standoffs?
Thanks! And yes, the blade shape is absolutely what draws me to this knife. I'm a sucker for that trailing point or Persian style blade. About the post, looking at it again it looks totally unnecessary. It isn't screwed in, just sort of sits there. Certainly doesn't look structural. I think I'll remove it next time I have it apart. Interestingly, they drilled holes for a lefty clip in the scales.

Really enjoyed your review, I have the 121B. I think the useless looking post may be for tying a lanyard.

Thanks for the review. The sharp edges on the handles are disappointing. It suggests that no one tested the knifes design before going to production. Or cutting corners.

Thanks for the review. The sharp edges on the handles are disappointing. It suggests that no one tested the knifes design before going to production. Or cutting corners.
You're welcome!

I'm not sure the sharp handle edges were a mistake because of a lack of testing and/or a result of cutting corners. I think it was a concious aesthetic choice. Not one I would have made mind you. I'd be curious to see if their other folders have this issue. I do have a couple of their other knives on my radar (can't remember the name/model number, but the wharncliffe one) so I'll be able to take a look when I pick one up.

It's an easy fix anyway.

I respect your opinion. Customizing a product to suit your needs or likes is one thing. Having to fix a new product so that it can be used in a reasonable manner is another thing.

And yeah, what's up with that generic looking post between the standoffs?

Really enjoyed your review, I have the 121B. I think the useless looking post may be for tying a lanyard.
I asked the Ruike rep I'm in contact with and that post is indeed a lanyard post. Like I said, I don't need a lanyard or fob on this knife so I'll remove it next time I have it apart.

I've owned this knife for a few years now. I don't mind the sharp edges on the scales and pretty much don't notice them when I use it, which isn't often but I have used it. I like the choice of blade steel and frankly for the money spent the knife is put together very well. Flips open with ease. Anyways nice review and spot on. All this being said I am not a flipper fan even though this one works very well. I would rather have thumb studs but that's just me. Overall this knife with the materials and build quality is a bargain. keepem sharp

Thanks! And yes, the blade shape is absolutely what draws me to this knife. I'm a sucker for that trailing point or Persian style blade. About the post, looking at it again it looks totally unnecessary. It isn't screwed in, just sort of sits there. Certainly doesn't look structural. I think I'll remove it next time I have it apart. Interestingly, they drilled holes for a lefty clip in the scales.
Good review , all things considered it looks like a pretty good folder for $35.:thumbsup:

its a solid knife

Unfortunately a hollow grind would have been better

A few years of use and sharpenings and the bevel gets pushed up, with a resulting gain in thickness behind the edge

But thats something one sees in years of use and not a short review

A flatter taller blade would have been better with a flat ground (like ganzo did from the fh11 to the fh41)

Or a hollow grind

Solid knife otherwise

its a solid knife

Unfortunately a hollow grind would have been better

A few years of use and sharpenings and the bevel gets pushed up, with a resulting gain in thickness behind the edge

But thats something one sees in years of use and not a short review

A flatter taller blade would have been better with a flat ground (like ganzo did from the fh11 to the fh41)

Or a hollow grind

Solid knife otherwise
Thanks for the comment but a discussion of "what type of grind is best for a knife over time" isn't really pertinent to this knife review.

Part of the attraction to this knife is the aesthetics, blade shape and grind being paramount to that. In this sense, I think Ruike hit it out of the park.

oh its a beautiful knife i have a few since they first came out

But like i said after a few years of use the bevel will move up till its thicker behind the grind after many sharpenings

A short blade height wise and a flat grind are not a good long term combination for long term slicing use

As a comparison their 801 blade is more practical as its taller flat grind

Thank you for the review if i missed saying that

Mmmmmm

Back