Review Ruike P848 folder

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have always admired the lines of this Ruike P848 folder and my daughter emailed me a gift card to that big river store that was just enough to cover the purchase for my birthday, which is today :) and the knife also arrived today as well. So I took a quick trip from work to open the box to make sure all was right and it is fine, actually very fine.

It is a liner lock with a nail nick opening style blade, the contours are very well done, the flow of the blade and handle look terrific, and while it lacks any type of guard, the way the handle swells from heel to bolster area provides a modicum of prevention of running your hand too far, but obviously in a fight situation you would not want a knife like this anyways, it really is a gents type knife.

I'll update this with more detail, here are a few images taken hastily as I leave to head back to work;

IMG_8316 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_8317 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_8318 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Very nice, arrived sharp, has that Sandvik steel 14c28n which takes a great edge. Thanks again to my daughter ! :)
G2

Last edited:
I had one of these in my hands this weekend, but was turned off by the seemingly thin liner lock. The weight on this was relatively light; it looks like a very nice gentleman's folder.

n2s

Yep, I heard about the thin liner, but I think it is more like a gent's folder, used her on some food tonight, handled well, cut great, looks good ;)

Closed it's about 4 5/8" long
Blade is 3 3/8" long from end of the scale to the tip
Blade steel is the Sandvik 14c28n and about 1/8" stock

I like how stream lined this folder is both open and closed. How the 'bolster' area is angled and the saber grind flows from that peak. The blade provides a good length of straight edge with a soft curve towards the tip. I especially like the fact that it doesn't have a sharpening choil, those are one of my greatest pet peeves.

Also like how they did the hidden lanyard pin so if you use one it doesn't bump the overall thickness of the handle which is about 1/2" thick. and if you don't use a lanyard then it is not a glaring hole for no reason.

IMG_8324 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_8321 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

It did arrive pretty sharp, popping paracord, cleanly slicing receipt paper and shaving arm hair. The edge bevels appear fairly even and they have a high polish to them too. I haven't seen very many knives arrive with this degree of a finish on their bevels.

The G10 has some nice texture, not very coarse, and it has a gentle radius from the center line to the spine and blade, making it kind of oval if you peer at the handle from the end view. And the bright blue steel liners are polished without any sharp edges and stand slightly proud of the G10 scales.

The tapered feel of the handle does provide a good grip during use, so while you could slide onto the blade if you try hard enough, during normal use you should be fine, this of course depends on your definition of normal ;)

G2

Last edited:
Nice review and pics Gary, thanks for putting this together and posting.

I really like my Enzo Birk 75 and how I can get my finger near the edge with no guard. I was saving for the full flat version but after seeing this Ruike, it has a lot of the characteristics I was looking for, at a much lower price. I also prefer the steel choice as well.

Just ordered one!

Thanks, I think you’ll be pleased. I find that if I had to open it one handed you can strongly throw your arm against a fixed surface and it will overcome the detent, or a more gentle approach with the handle resting on down I can start it open using the nail nick and you can thumb open the blade the rest of the way. Lock up is good on this too.

G2

Thanks Chris, appreciate that sir and it is a nice knife, was cutting some heavy dense foam tonight and it did well, not a job for this particular knife but I wanted to see how it went through and it sliced admirably.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Hi Gary, nice birthday gift.
how does it compare with the Ruike 135?.

Thanks RJ, it's a world apart basically but both show very high level of quality construction and both arrived sharp as well. This one has about .020" behind the edge thickness, I would have like it to have been in the mid teens but it cuts well so can't complain too loudly.

And I have been practicing opening it one handed, resting the knife down while catching the nail nick with my right hand to break free of the detent and once it is past the detent stage it really falls open under it's own weight or a slight shake to bring it into fully open. And releasing it is even easier, the type of bearings this has makes it glide closed very smoothly.

Cut up some carboard today and a few boxes, worked great.

G2

A friend at work helped me by getting the spine of the blade engraved with my daughters name and my birthdate, thereby making it a knife that would be kept, knowing how I can be ;)

Still liking it's looks as well as the steel they used, nice knife.
G2

Back