Ruined my sebenza...

Got this safe queen some time ago and decided to carry a few years back, and the coating on the blade is wearing off. :(

How she looked new
7VpxETZ.jpg

Now
1aONsGQ.jpg

Live and learn.

Ouch. You can apply some Renaissance Wax to help protect it but I believe those beautiful bronze/blue finishes are not very durable to begin with.

I’ve got a nib large Stars and Stripes with out a Damascus blade that I’ll trade you straight across.:rolleyes::) I personally think they look better used.;)

The blue and bronze finishes definitely can wear off. If I remember correctly, that’s why CRK stopped doing them, in 2005.

Is the blade damascus or is it lazer etched?
If damascus it can be fixed. Mirror it and re etch in acid. Im sure they can do this for spa treatment?

Anyways, its not ruined. Looks better when used.

The only reason someone keeps a knife in "NIB" condition is in consideration of resale value.

In my estimation, sir, you have improved the life of this fine cutting tool.

Continue to enjoy the knife guilt free. Let the people that handle your estate sale worry about "condition issues".

You have a beautiful and well loved high-quality knife on your hands. Many should be so lucky.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
It doesn’t look like you’ll get top dollar for it, so you might as well continue to use it and enjoy it. After all, something gave you the urge to carry it. A Question or two, do you regret using it ?, has it brought a smile to your face ?

I like it better. I only have one “safe queen” ( Lone_Wolfe Lone_Wolfe knows the one), but have a couple Damascus blades that get used all the time. The etching does wear away, but in a way that appeals to me.

An unused knife, even a safe queen, is a sad knife sometimes. I fully understand the collecting aspect, but you also gotta pay yourself in joy sometimes. Having a gorgeous Damascus CRK Regular in your pocket to use on a daily basis is worth more than any wear and tear on the knife. I’m jealous!

As (somewhat rudely) stated elsewhere: not using your knife to preserve resale is like not having sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend so they are more appealing to their next partner. Or for the prudes, not driving your Ferrari so it doesn’t rack up miles.

This is great video on the subject:

I like it better. I only have one “safe queen” ( Lone_Wolfe Lone_Wolfe knows the one), but have a couple Damascus blades that get used all the time. The etching does wear away, but in a way that appeals to me.

An unused knife, even a safe queen, is a sad knife sometimes. I fully understand the collecting aspect, but you also gotta pay yourself in joy sometimes. Having a gorgeous Damascus CRK Regular in your pocket to use on a daily basis is worth more than any wear and tear on the knife. I’m jealous!

As (somewhat rudely) stated elsewhere: not using your knife to preserve resale is like not having sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend so they are more appealing to their next partner. Or for the prudes, not driving your Ferrari so it doesn’t rack up miles.

This is great video on the subject:

I haven't seen that safe queen in a while, ;)

I do have safe queens myself, and I love taking pics of their pristine beauty. Works of art. Since the knife in the OP is brethren to this pair, I'll use them as examples. When it comes time to sell these, I want them in the same condition I got them in.

UG_BothSpiros-Balcony1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen that safe queen in a while, ;)

I do have safe queens myself, and I love taking pics of their pristine beauty. Works of art. Since the knife in the OP is brethren to this pair, I'll use them as examples. When it comes time to sell these, I want them in the same condition I got them in.

View attachment 1089853

View attachment 1089854

You deserve some safe queens. I know you have a couple unique beauties that hit the pavement too.

Cool picture with the KM tire.
Need the updates with a KM2 and now a KM3;)
The main thing is you enjoy it! Whether that’s taking it out of a safe and admiring it or using it on a daily basis. There is no right or wrong:)

Back