Running Ubuntu

I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now, I'd been playing with it a bit before that but 8.04 is when it really became usable for me.

What made me switch was my winfast tv card, in windows every button on the remote sent the 'enter' signal and only the winfast software could use it. It took about a week to get over the learning curve but then my media pc was running great, the hardest part was figuring out how the hardware drivers worked since my particular tv card and remote weren't supported 'out of the box'.

It's actually pretty amazing that such a good OS is free, big thanks to the thousands who worked on it.

(I still keep windows around since Wine doesn't work 100% with Steam, just yet anyway.)

What are your options as far as firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware software for Ubuntu? Also, the office type software for it - do they use file formats that are readable by MS Office (if I want to do some work at home and still be able to open it in the office using MS Office)?

What are your options as far as firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware software for Ubuntu? Also, the office type software for it - do they use file formats that are readable by MS Office (if I want to do some work at home and still be able to open it in the office using MS Office)?

Pretty sure OpenOffice allows you to save as .doc files for word processing at least... can't speak for their spreadsheet.

One difference being, if folk get your Open Office files, they can simply download it for free themselves to open and edit.

I think there is less anti-malware type stuff for linux in general, because it's a deal more secure than Windows... there's more focus on security on the ground level with the OS.

Wintermute, when I was just starting out in Ubuntu I read this post to get the basics of ubuntu security, I only read up to the end of 'the windows mindset' section because the rest seemed targeted towards a more advanced/paranoid user.

What I understand is that linux viruses basically dont exist, a default Ubuntu install doesn't have any open ports and nothing can install without your explicit say so.
So all I do to stay secure is have a strong password, only install software from places I trust ie: the repositories or medibuntu, keep my system updated and don't run commands that I dont fully understand.

And just to add to this thread in general, I just found this migration strategy which I wish I found before starting out on Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Back