Runt or Bow legged joe?

Well I must admit, it is a little early to be deciding this but I figured it can't hurt to get some discussion going. I suddenly got an urge for a small fixed blade knife for work. Right now I carry a Victorinox pioneer in a slip pouch in my pocket, but it takes too long to pull it out to use. Plus I just want another Fiddleback!
I just started work at a pellet plant so I'm not really sure what all I will need it for. So far all I've had to use my knife for is opening up some plastic bags, and cutting shrink wrap. I would probably carry it around the farm though as well so there may be the odd tough cutting job.
SO, what do you all think? Bow legged joe, or runt? Scandi or convex? I've never had a scandi before. Now that I think of it I've never had a wharncliffe blade either.

Well I must admit, it is a little early to be deciding this but I figured it can't hurt to get some discussion going. I suddenly got an urge for a small fixed blade knife for work. Right now I carry a Victorinox pioneer in a slip pouch in my pocket, but it takes too long to pull it out to use. Plus I just want another Fiddleback!
I just started work at a pellet plant so I'm not really sure what all I will need it for. So far all I've had to use my knife for is opening up some plastic bags, and cutting shrink wrap. I would probably carry it around the farm though as well so there may be the odd tough cutting job.
SO, what do you all think? Bow legged joe, or runt? Scandi or convex? I've never had a scandi before. Now that I think of it I've never had a wharncliffe blade either.

Palmer, convex for an EDC, unless you like a spearpoint then the Karda is nice!

Karda (newer 3 finger model he also has a 2 finger model)
ej102_1536-vi.jpg

Runt
op102_1657-vi.jpg

Palmer
aug10105_2442-vi.jpg

But honestly I'd just grab whichever one comes up first in a batch.

Last edited:
That bottom knife is a Runt. I've got pics of a couple of Palmers going up in a few minutes.

Ill edit it out. I cant tell the difference from pics if they are not in hand. If I find one that I know for sure is one I'll put it back up

Yep, that's MY Palmer. The very FIRST Palmer! I'm not proud of it at all. ;) I've owned if for months, but only got to play with it a couple of days! Now if Tal would ever make that sheath and send it back to me... :)

I've got a Karda, Palmer, and BLJ, - well, the 3-finger Karda is my wife's knife - and I love 'em all. The one I carry all day long every day in a Talfuchre horizontal sheath is the Bow Legged Joe. The Joe is just hard to beat for it's "power to weight ratio." There's just not much you can't do with it, and you just don't notice it until you need it. Can't wait to get more time on the Palmer, though.

I had a runt, and it approached the BLJ in usefulness, but for my money, the Palmer is a more useable size if you like that shape and look.

There, that didn't help at all, did it? :)

I love my Bow Legged Belt knife. Maybe too big for what you are looking for. This is my only scandi but I hope they all come this sharp!!
DSC02013.jpg

atc: looks like the Tom Brown book, good stuff. :) hmmm I must go procure me some food now!

Palmer, convex for an EDC, unless you like a spearpoint then the Karda is nice!

Karda (newer 3 finger model he also has a 2 finger model)
ej102_1536-vi.jpg

Runt
op102_1657-vi.jpg

Palmer
aug10105_2442-vi.jpg

But honestly I'd just grab whichever one comes up first in a batch.

I think you may have the answer! Maybe whether it be a runt or bow legged joe, whichever catches my eye then I may just have to go with my gut. I'm sure both would easily do all the tasks I need them to

Yeah pretty much out of the three or four neckers I have tried the best yet. By far the largest in terms of under shirt carry but heck it still just sits right there. The combination of the amazing handle and the leather lanyard it is a perfect fit for my hand.

BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

Think of this particular post as my death chat for armstrong to get a BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE.

Yeah pretty much out of the three or four neckers I have tried the best yet. By far the largest in terms of under shirt carry but heck it still just sits right there. The combination of the amazing handle and the leather lanyard it is a perfect fit for my hand.

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

Think of this particular post as my death chat for armstrong to get a BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE, BOW LEGGED JOE.

what do you think HaknPocket, scandi or convex? i noticed you like the bow legged joe btw ;):D

Hey have you considered the BOW LEGGED JOE??? Just kidding. As for Scandi or Convex. I guess mine is convex but it sure seems like a full flat to me, its very slightly convexed. I actually tree topped an arm hair, first time ever, with it the other day. I really dig this knife. Grind should be your choice really. Either way I think you will be happy.

IMO, a properly made convex knife is almost undistinguishable from a flat ground knife until you hold a straight edge to the bevels.

Just for information, my work never touches a flat platten. It is not a convexed flat grind. It is ground on a rotary platten, and is convex.

THat arm hair topping thing is COOL!!! 01 steel baby!

Andy I almost messed my pants when I did it. Heck the hair was still attached to my arm. I did hold it to a flat surface and convex it is. Let up know what you choose sir.

Back