Russell Barlow... Germany?

Since my maternal grandfather always carried a Barlow in his pocket and was able to amazing things with it, I've always had an affinity for Barlows as have many of you here. Charlie's pics of some of some of the he has always makes me catch my breath. So when I had the chance to get a Barlow with a Russell logo, I just had to take advantage. However my knowledge is lacking, and I'd like to see if the more knowledgeable here can educate me on Russell Barlows, especially since this one has Germany etched on the pile side of the main blade. Main blade is off center and rubs the center liner a bit, but overall it seems to be a well made knife. Tight, no wobbles, and strong snaps.

So let me know folks. How did Russell get a Germany etch? How old might this little guy be? What's your opinion? Please forgive my lack of photography skills.

You might ask the post to be moved to Levine's Identification Forum. But it looks like Levine hasn't been active in about a 1/2 year. Hope he's doing well. If you look on page 239 of Goins' Encyclopedia, you'll see German reproduction Russell barlows listed as c1968-71.

Thank you, SAK Guy. That link was very helpful. It appears it was an unauthorized German reproduction made around 1971. That being said, it's still a well made knife that has some notoriety as being a somewhat believable counterfeit. As such, I'm still happy with it. Maybe someday I can find a pre 1941 Russell.

Thank you, SAK Guy. That link was very helpful. It appears it was an unauthorized German reproduction made around 1971. That being said, it's still a well made knife that has some notoriety as being a somewhat believable counterfeit. As such, I'm still happy with it. Maybe someday I can find a pre 1941 Russell.

An etch that weak seems almost intentionally designed to be buffed off before sale. Presto, one minty original Russell you can pass off to someone who isn't an expert on such things.

An etch that weak seems almost intentionally designed to be buffed off before sale. Presto, one minty original Russell you can pass off to someone who isn't an expert on such things.
Yeah, I'm surprised after 44 years it's still there. And it shall remain there as long as it's mine. After some further research off the above link, I see that the pin placement isn't right either. I'm hanging onto it as it's a good knife with notorious if not legitimate history. It can't help what it is.

Interesting question.

All I can add is my example taken from the early years of his century: Green River one made in Solingen, Germany with stamped tang almost certainly by Böker. Carbon, brushed stainless stamped bolster, sawn bone. Very high quality F&F, centred both blades, great snap, no gaps no play, certainly the equal of TC Barlows from GEC.:thumbup:

IMG_3022.jpg

Thanks, Will

Interesting question.

All I can add is my example taken from the early years of his century: Green River one made in Solingen, Germany with stamped tang almost certainly by Böker. Carbon, brushed stainless stamped bolster, sawn bone. Very high quality F&F, centred both blades, great snap, no gaps no play, certainly the equal of TC Barlows from GEC.:thumbup:

IMG_3022.jpg

Thanks, Will

There's an example of a clip blade version of that in the link SAK Man provided. It's an informative read. Nice knife. I'd be proud to have it.

Thanks! Yes it's a well-made example, nor did it cost so much either when I got it back in 2008 or so. Just wish I'd got the Stag one too at the time, sigh!

Regards, Will

Back