Russian Systema

CJ- have you ever seen/heard of this? I have been told by a very good and respected warrior art teacher that this is the best fighting system out there. What is your opinion on it?

I forgot who said it "but it is not the art but the person using it that makes it effective" If Bruce Lee started out learning TaeKwonDo, Kenpo, or what ever and not kung fu from which he developed Jeet kun Do (spelling?) he would still be just as sucessful and well known today. All martial arts when tought right cope well with all types of combat(standing and groundfighting).

jwhere,
I cannot say that I am familiar with that name. I have certainly been exposed to some other Soviet styles and they are ok like everything else.
These are good questions and it is good that I get them sooner or later I will probably have people just refer to these down the road.

People are physiologically the same since we have evolved to this degree. I do not believe there are any new "Martial Arts". I believe there are people who know how to market better than others.
What we tend to see is people who have either studied or been exposed to different disciplines who put together different aspects of those disciplines and call them whatever they want.
I am a product of this.
The important question is the persons experience; does he say it works because he/she thinks so or because it did in the DoJo, or do they have real life street or battle experience.
The next point is how simple does it seem, is it logical, does it make sense. Does a discipline require certain physical attributes to be effective or can anyone be somewhat successful with it. Do the technique involve the nervous system primarily (pain/compliance), are people all the same were this concept is applied.
Also lest I forget is it structured so that you will learn something practical always or does that come later "$$$$$$", if you know what I mean.
In the end, are looking to defend yourself and not necessarily learn an "ART”, if so then you will be able to judge for yourself if it is effective by the below guidelines (mind you off the top of my head):
1. Simple
2. Physiologically logical, not pain compliance (too many variables in reference to people). Do they involve the limits of human physiology?
3. Should not hurt you in performing the techniques.
4. Know the counters, are they so simple that someone might react that way naturally.
5. Do they allow latitude in the force that you have to use?

See if that helps, because as long as people use the fighting skills as a way to make $, they will always be looking to use gimmicks.
Be advised that whenever I conduct a demonstration I choreograph nothing. If I don't believe in the technique to that degree, how can I pass this on to someone who may have to risk his or her life with it?

jwhere, I had purchased a set of videos from TRS( I find the videos they sell will vary a LOT as far as practical use,very good to very bad)Russian Systema I personally found interesting but I thought you would have to go to the mountain and get hands on direct training. There appear to be a lot of subtleties that don't come across in the tape. I have a considerable amount of Martial training. Started with traditional arts then slid into the military/street fighting styles. I love Jerry Petersons SCARS system. It comes from a man who "was there and did that". You really can learn it from his videos. It has basic principals that you put together any way that works for you. They are a little pricey compared to other videos, but how much is your life worth. Mr Petersons facility trains a lot of the governments spec op community.

Back