rust prevention for fixed blade

what practices should you follow to prevent rust on a fixed blade? I've generally been instructed that it's a good idea after carrying the blade all day in hot weather and sweating etc that you should put a little oil on a cloth and wipe the knife down.

But I'd also like to know if the methods are different when comparing the finish (eg., bead blast vs Satin 400 grit).

I'd also like to get some recommendations on what brand of oil to use periodically on the blade. Anybody have any experience with Benchmade's BlueLube for corrosion prevention purposes? I want an oil that excels at NOT leaving an oily residue on the knife.

Will any cloth do to apply the oil, or should the cloth be of a certain material? Is there a specific cloth made for such an application that is recommended?

As far as cloth, I would just use a cotton rag. There are many different oils you can use, but I like to use cooking oil in case I will be using my knife to prepare any food, just my preference.

I dont think you will have to do anything different as far as preventing rust between a beadblast vs. 400gr satin finish. Just keep in mind that a beadblast finish will probably be more prone to rust than a satin finish, assuming the steel is the same. But if you maintain them the way you are saying you will, you should not have a problem with either.

Let’s see if we can find the right forum …
attachment.php

If you want a food-safe oil that's not going to go rancid, go to your local pharmacy and buy a bottle of mineral oil. It's sold as a laxative, but is also very useful for rust prevention, bringing old cutting boards back to life, polishing natural handle materials, etc.

If you want a food-safe oil that's not going to go rancid, go to your local pharmacy and buy a bottle of mineral oil. It's sold as a laxative, but is also very useful for rust prevention, bringing old cutting boards back to life, polishing natural handle materials, etc.

I'll second that idea. If you're not worried about using the knife for food, you could always buy yourself a Tuf-Cloth.

Use mineral oil as has been already pointed out, that or wax.

One of the best rust preventatives (by actual test) is Eezox, it will protect for a long time, but I wouldn't want to eat much of it.
If you are wearing the protection off frequently in use, then any oil will do. If you prepare food with the knife then food-safe mineral oil is the way to go.
Greg

Back