Off Topic Rusting a cheap harbor freight hatchet to age it ( update )

Well, I couldn't wait to see what it looked like and here it is.

So what do you guys think , should I call it done, or stick it back out there to rust some more ?
There's not much pitting other than some very fine stuff on the bit ( the hardened steel must've reacted differently ) but in general I'd say it looks ok.
I'm only asking because I'll bet I'd never be perfectly satisfied with how this thing looks because I know it's a cheapo made in India.
It looks 'done' to me. You did a first class job of reshaping that head. It does not look like something that was backyard 'doctored'. What you need now is some metal stamps to put your signature or logo on it.

It looks 'done' to me. You did a first class job of reshaping that head. It does not look like something that was backyard 'doctored'. What you need now is some metal stamps to put your signature or logo on it.
Well that's it, it's done.

I'm not sure I'd want to brand this head or anything, but it would be kinda cool.

I like to keep my handles pretty simple and traditional Because I've found that if you go too fancy with all kinds of wraps and stuff it's just not the same as a simple working tool, no matter how cool it looks.

I have to beg to differ...
Imagine a beauty in a glass case or that same beauty chopping staves for your fire pit.

Lean it next to your chopping stump, crack open a non twist off beer for your BFF with your bare hand, pour an extra dry martini for your gal, and toss a match lit from your boot heal into the pit. :cool:

Time to enjoy your life with a great cigar while they all melt around you.;)
Just sayin'

I have to beg to differ...
Imagine a beauty in a glass case or that same beauty chopping staves for your fire pit.

Lean it next to your chopping stump, crack open a non twist off beer for your BFF with your bare hand, pour an extra dry martini for your gal, and toss a match lit from your boot heal into the pit. :cool:

Time to enjoy your life with a great cigar while they all melt around you.;)
Just sayin'
I still think the beauty of traditional simplicity wins out over nonsense decoration when a tool is meant to be used.
Maybe you just need to show me a picture of the type of thing you've got in mind in order to try and appreciate it.

I am just going to come out and say that this is probably one of the strangest things I have seen someone do with an axe...

I certainly do not mean any offense, but I have to ask, why? I understand that it is a cheap piece of steel and that you wanted to alter the look but is that simply what you are going for, or are you planning to put the axe to use as well? Forcing damage on steel (i.e. rust, pitting, etc) is one way to achieve a certain aesthetic, I suppose. I guess I just do not understand why would you force it to such extent, especially if you plan on using the axe.

Using tools for their intended purpose achieves its own aesthetic, which I find has its own level of charm, but if I wanted a rusted hunk of metal to put on my porch for decor, I can usually just go to the local thrift store or garage sale and find one for a couple bucks, save myself the trouble.

I am just going to come out and say that this is probably one of the strangest things I have seen someone do with an axe...

I certainly do not mean any offense, but I have to ask, why? I understand that it is a cheap piece of steel and that you wanted to alter the look but is that simply what you are going for, or are you planning to put the axe to use as well? Forcing damage on steel (i.e. rust, pitting, etc) is one way to achieve a certain aesthetic, I suppose. I guess I just do not understand why would you force it to such extent, especially if you plan on using the axe.

Using tools for their intended purpose achieves its own aesthetic, which I find has its own level of charm, but if I wanted a rusted hunk of metal to put on my porch for decor, I can usually just go to the local thrift store or garage sale and find one for a couple bucks, save myself the trouble.
He made no bones about this starting off as a cheap and already used Harbor Freight-type head when he got it. When you significantly reshape an axe head to a new profile the alterations remain quite obvious for a long period of time. Tossing the thing in a salt bath speeded all this up! In hindsight, should this tool turn out to have horribly inferior steel, it might have been a better idea to have devoted the time and effort into doctoring a quality head. Lord knows there are still plenty of them around collecting dust and rust in basements and sheds.

He made no bones about this starting off as a cheap and already used Harbor Freight-type head when he got it. When you significantly reshape an axe head to a new profile the alterations remain quite obvious for a long period of time. Tossing the thing in a salt bath speeded all this up! In hindsight, should this tool turn out to have horribly inferior steel, it might have been a better idea to have devoted the time and effort into doctoring a quality head. Lord knows there are still plenty of them around collecting dust and rust in basements and sheds.
You're exactly right except for a few things.
I bought this thing new at harbor freight 4-½ years ago, and used it quite a bit because I was surprised at how decent the steel actually is ( takes a shaving sharp edge and holds it very well ).
I didn't end up sticking with the salt bath Because the results were weird.
I can understand how this may seem weird, but the whole thread makes sense starting on pg2 so I may have to edit my op to mention it.

Main thing is you got a fashionable Hudson Bay head out of a clunker with 'peanuts' for cash outlay. HBs are not my bag (too vulnerable of a design to be a 'real axe') but I have no trouble in seeing the value in this project.

Main thing is you got a fashionable Hudson Bay head out of a clunker with 'peanuts' for cash outlay. HBs are not my bag (too vulnerable of a design to be a 'real axe') but I have no trouble in seeing the value in this project.
I've never had a Hudson bay ,and wanted to see why their so " special ". I couldn't care less that they're fashionable, I just wanted to see why but they command such high prices that I figured I'd make my own.
I really can't begin to understand why people pay so much for Hudson bay hatchets, and after some time with this thing I'll either know why, or find out I was right to question their popularity.

I've never had a Hudson bay ,and wanted to see why their so " special ". I couldn't care less that they're fashionable, I just wanted to see why but they command such high prices that I figured I'd make my own.
I really can't begin to understand why people pay so much for Hudson bay hatchets, and after some time with this thing I'll either know why, or find out I was right to question their popularity.
How is the balance after modification? It seems Norlund HBs have more weight at the poll comparing to this axe

I still think the beauty of traditional simplicity wins out over nonsense decoration when a tool is meant to be used.
Maybe you just need to show me a picture of the type of thing you've got in mind in order to try and appreciate it.

This is close to what I had envisioned...
A nicer wood, and a custom collar guard. Maybe a Diresta inspired handle shape...

il_fullxfull.1044248802_c3s6.jpg

In the end all that is invested in time, and dollars is returned in experience, and pride in workmanship.

This is close to what I had envisioned...
A nicer wood, and a custom collar guard. Maybe a Diresta inspired handle shape...

il_fullxfull.1044248802_c3s6.jpg

In the end all that is invested in time, and dollars is returned in experience, and pride in workmanship.
leather handle guards can look nice, but imo add thickness and aren't necessary for me.
As far as the diresta inspired handle shape, he's an awesome ingenious Craftsman but an axe man he is not.
I find that traditional handles have the shape they do for a reason, and his funky shapes don't seem very practical to me.
However if you're talking about the handle he did for his Hudson bay boys axe, that's a standard traditional shape so it wouldn't really be Jimmy D inspired.

You seem to be pretty enthusiastic about these ideas you have, so I'd love to see you implement them at some point because they're good ideas just not my style.

This is what I'm thinking of for a 14" handle.
I can pretty much get this shape out of a Link handle from the local hardware, I just need to wait till they have a good one in stock.

Last edited:
I do drive myself NUTZ with projects that give me ideas for more projects.
Darn near everything I own has been modified in some way. Soon enough I will be hanging hatchets/axes.

In any event... Love your project sir. Little victories are so appealing because you can achieve them all the time.
Glad it's working out as you had hoped.

I can pretty much get this shape out of a Link handle from the local hardware, I just need to wait till they have a good one in stock.

That's a great look

I know it seems to be months before new handles rotate into stock at my most local of local hardware stores

That's a great look

I know it seems to be months before new handles rotate into stock at my most local of local hardware stores
Yeah, seems like everyone around here would rather just throw heads away and replace them with modern import crap ( obviously this one has shown me that some can be decent )

That's a great look

This is going to sound hokey but if you discover you're long-term really 'into this' you'll start scouting for (and laying in) potential shovel/axe/sledge/hammer handles well in advance. First class handles (optimal grain orientation, and with no runout, nevermind the thickness) have increasingly become flukes. Befriending the store owner or manager to alert you as to when new stock comes in doesn't hurt either. I've half-heartedly ? been playing this game for almost 40 years and currently have enough stock on hand not to be embarrassed when asked to re-haft appreciative other folk's choppers with what I can honestly claim to be 'pick of the litter'.
Likely when I 'pack it in' there will be a bonfire of obsolete wood handles or, less likely, someone out there will recognize what's carefully been squirrelled away.

This is going to sound hokey but if you discover you're long-term really 'into this' you'll start scouting for (and laying in) potential shovel/axe/sledge/hammer handles well in advance. First class handles (optimal grain orientation, and with no runout, nevermind the thickness) have increasingly become flukes. Befriending the store owner or manager to alert you as to when new stock comes in doesn't hurt either. I've half-heartedly ? been playing this game for almost 40 years and currently have enough stock on hand not to be embarrassed when asked to re-haft appreciative other folk's choppers with what I can honestly claim to be 'pick of the litter'.
Likely when I 'pack it in' there will be a bonfire of obsolete wood handles or, less likely, someone out there will recognize what's carefully been squirrelled away.

Not hokey to me at all. I appreciate the advice and the straight shooting.:thumbsup:
I have a few handles already squirrelled away, and as my budget allows i have been attempting to maintain a balance of handle to project.
Currently I have been going thru and caring for all the wood handled tools I already owned prior to my son unearthing my grandfather's Collins; pipe wrenches saws to my shovels, rakes and hoe.
These are skills I am happily learning more about and improving upon, will always use and am sharing with my boys and any family members that will listen to me
...I will be off to a garage sale or two tomorrow morning, looking for that stash of handles along with the stash of Collins and Rogers Connie heads :D

How's the handle coming along?
I've been curious to see the final product since your sketch, very good btw :thumbsup: :cool:

I can't draw stick figures :confused:

Back