RyanW PSK - "Minimal List"

RyanW

I have an obsession with lists, it borders on "OCD" (OK Probably already crossed that border in reality)

I have set up hundreds of PSK's (Personal Survival Kits) of various sizes for various climates and times of the year. I have yet to feel comfortable with any of them, it always feels like there is something missing or there is something better out there for a particular task.

I have a project in the works that I am calling my "Minimal-list PSK". The idea being that it is a small self contained Tin or Package that can be thrown in a small bag to have with you at all times. I want my kids to have it so that if for some reason we get separated in the mountains (one of my worst fears) I know they have the tools (With Training) to survive 24-48 hrs. and increase the possibility of being found.

1. Skeletonized Neck Knife
  2. 5/16" Firesteel Rod (Tempted to just put a Lighter in there)
  3. Aqua Mira Water Straw
  4. Cordage
  5. Button Compass
  6. Small Proton Light
  7. Fat Wood
  8. Whistle

I open this up for discussion regarding what is needed and not needed and why... Altoid tin is a good size "Minimal" PSK IMO (Miro Straw doesn't fit in one unfortunately)

Ryan, I'm with you on the getting separated fear. While they don't fit in a small tin, what about small two-way radios?

Shane, We do carry Gamin Rino radios but find the coverage not very reliable. less than 1 mile in most areas unfortunately.

On that note a few years ago we (Utah) had a boy scout decide to walk from a river the group was fishing in back to camp on his own. When the group returned to camp the boy was no where to be found. Still to this day he has not been found, that is the area we camp and hike every summer.

This is one I put together last year, much larger than what I am talking about...

How about a reflector blanket? It rolls up into a very small size (like the size of a rolled up pair of socks)
How about a signal mirror?

Thanks for the input Freeze, I have one in the larger kits. Unfortunately when adding things that size (Even thought it is small) it just gets left at home by the kids...

I am a firm believer that every member of the group should carry their own gear whenever possible. A PSK is a good step in that direction but I'd probably take it further.

Your kit looks OK for an adult with extensive skills and a minimalist attitude. For a child I would lean more towards stuff to cover the basic needs. Shelter: a colorful bothy bag, hat, gloves, and warm layers of clothing. Food: Esbit stove, pot, and instant noodles. Water: Full bottle(s) of water

I would swap the button compass for a full size suunto and throw in a map if possible. Teach them navigation and include them when it is time to consult the map. Let them work it out, it is no good you showing them that you know have to navigate. Look at the map when you enter a new area, actually come to think of it look at the map before you even decide on an area. Look for obvious boundaries in the terrain like rivers, electricity lines, and roads. Then set limits that they are to stay within those boundaries.

I have heard bad things about straw filters in general. Montezuma's revenge and all that. It might be a case of user error or faulty product. Dunno. I'd rather just give the kids enough clean water from the get go. Water is heavy too so it will strengthen them allowing them to carry more gear in the future. ;)

On that note a few years ago we (Utah) had a boy scout decide to walk from a river the group was fishing in back to camp on his own. When the group returned to camp the boy was no where to be found. Still to this day he has not been found, that is the area we camp and hike every summer.

Oh wow, that's tragic.

Sideways thanks for the post.. and I agree 100% the Tin I posted a photo of above is what I have my kids put in their pack on Camping trips. I have worked very hard to make sure even my 10 Yr old daughter can start a fire with a firesteel and build a shelter from natural materials. We have a lot of fun doing that every time we camp over night.

What I am looking for here is the Bare Minimum KIT to get people (Not just Kids) that have some experience in the outdoors through an unplanned night in the wilds. When I trail run or hike I dont want to carry a large tin full of gear.

If the idea is to hunker down for 1 night with the absolute minimum amount of gear then I honestly think a silnylon bothy or poncho will be more useful than any altoid tin sized PSK. You'll get fewer capabilities overall but the "getting out of the wind and rain imperative" is actually covered. No muss, no fuss and nothing is left to chance.

Ultralight poncho
http://www.mec.ca/product/5012-442/integral-designs-silponcho-tarp/
You could even opt for an ultralight sit pad
http://gossamergear.com/sitlight-sit-pad-group.html
Discussion on ponchos, bivys, bothys and more
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1052028-Poncho-functionality/page4

I do my trail running with a lightweight salomon or camelbak trail running pack since I like to have water on hand. Call me crazy. :D

Last edited:
flagging tape (bread crumbs)
duct tape (I wrap mine around a pencil)
toilet paper (I pack 1/3 roll in a ziplock)

Drawn in from here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1161552-Seeking-input

Looks great. Just a few suggestions which might be helpful or maybe not as everyone's needs are different. First off your little kit looks great as is. :)

1. The orange vest. I don't think this is needed. You SOL/AMK Mylar blanket has among other things a highly visible orange side.

Replacement item. The suggestion to work a poncho into the mix was already made in IMHO a very good idea. Granted space is limited but an inexpensive plastic poncho probably won't take up more room than that vest. Granted it is disposable but they're multi purpose and do work in the short term.

2. Firekit. Great play getting a firesteel and clearly you have an understanding of the multi uses of jute cordage. For a very small Altoids kit one way to start a fire is ok IMHO because of the small size but here we have a bit more room. Things have tend to walk in the woods and more so if under stress. More options the better. I do see yea have tinder which is good. Maybe a mini BIC might be useful. They're just so small. I know what people say about lighters however we are talking about a backup and often they're more reliable than people give BICs credit for. Also an empty lighter is far from worthless. I have started plenty of fires with empty BICS.

Here is another small backup. A SOL Fire lite.

But with a little modification in the field an empty BIC becomes a Fire lite.

Or if you have the time that empty BIC can become a little SAK of it's own with Duct tape, sparker and tinder sealed within.

Also a small cutting of charred cloth would be nice. That tinder will coal with the weakest magnification or spark. Won't take up hardly any room. Goes without saying knowledge of how to blow a coal into flames is helpful. You have the jute so guessing that's covered. Granted you can always char a cutting of cloth or natural materials like punk wood or cedar bark using the tin but still it takes up nearly no room.

3. Small Proton Light. Great for an Altoids kit but I think yea got a little extra room here. A Fenix E01 with lithium primary AAA will operate in ANY temp, be crazy waterproof and function more like a real flashlight. Not all that bigger than the AAA battery it holds. People have done some insane abuse testing on these. They go for around 13 bucks and run regulated.

4. Skeletonized Neck Knife. Looks great. Is it carbon steel? Not really a big deal but carbon steel knife + chert, quartz or flint + charcloth + jute corage can = fire. Just another option. But if yea like that knife by all means keep it. Looks darn nice to me.

[video=youtube;VrDUAOTTxCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDUAOTTxCw[/video]

5. FAK. Toss an ear swab in there if yea don't have it. If yea fluff up one of the ends it will ignite with a marginal spark. That's two fires using either the firesteel,SOL or an empty BIC for that matter. Plus last year a bug flew into my ear on the trail. I really could have used one but as luck would have it there wasn't any. Darn! Sure I packed some but nope. Much of the cotton parts of a FAK will work for tinder. Guessing the same goes for that Vaseline lip balm which should work on cuts as well. Most of the anti bacterial properties of triple antibacterial cream probably comes from the white jelly anyways. However I am no MD so could be wrong.

6. Aqua Mira Water Straw. Once got turned around during a very hot day drinking up my water. That's what I get for going to a new area without a map and then go off trail "exploring". No big deal, ended up appearing in someone's back yard feeling stupid. That confession from years ago not withstanding that same straw was actually used in a trickle of a brook. It really worked. Granted I wasn't going to die but the produce preforms as stated. That said maybe toss a few water tabs in your FAK if yea have not already done so. Takes up nearly zero room offering a backup. You can boil water in the tin as well. There are some very small ER folding water bags that might fit inside your kit. Water is everything.

7. Button Compass and whistle. Great! Maybe a signal mirror and if possible a little red marking ribbon tape. If there is no room the Mylar blanket is reflective.

Is that duct tape wrapped around the pencil? If so that might fill the rolls of the tape and as a marker ribbon.

That's all I can think of right now. As stated your kit IMHO is fine just the way it is so these are just ideas to bounce around.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great input, I know this issue has been beat to death! Foil is something I will definitely add.

Woods Walker, Exactly the info I was hoping to get. I am trying to pull together a smaller kit than the one I posted. Yes the knives I make for my PSK are all High Carbon for exactly the reason you stated. Thanks for taking the time to post everyone!

I hope to have a better kit posted here based on your input in the not too distant future.

Here's how I tend to think about it. I would factor in the effects of physical and mental exhaustion when designing your PSK. Often things go wrong not because disaster strikes (i.e. falling down and breaking a leg), but because the effects of a long day in the wilderness (tiredness, not enough food, getting wet, windchill) mean you stop thinking clearly and start making bad decisions / responding inappropriately, and your physical capabilities go down (so normally easy things become difficult or even impossible). E.g. when mentally exhausted you may not think to start a fire until it's too late to do so; when near-hypothermic you may not be able to physically operate a fire steel or lighter because your fingers have stopped working properly; when physically tired you move slowly and suddenly find you don't have enough time to get back before dark, and then panic sets in; when panicking you stop thinking logically and start doing stupid things that make the situation worse. These things are cumulative - each thing makes the next problem more likely to occur and worse in effect - and can add up quickly and have a profound effect on an otherwise healthy and experienced person. This is particularly relevant to children.

If was planning a PSK for people who find themselves in this situation, then I would want things that (1) are useable even when physical and mental functions are greatly reduced, and (2) will lower the sense of panic and increase morale, to get them thinking and acting calmly, logically and effectively. E.g. you want matches and kindling, because lighters are hard to use when your fingers don't work, a fire steel is hard to use when you're exhausted and don't have any patience, and it's hard to improvise kindling from the environment when it's been raining so everything is wet and kindling is hard to find, and you're hypothermic and can't move around much. A flashlight is important because, apart from the obvious, it will also reduce panic; but make it a head torch because a hand light may get dropped when you're exhausted and using both hands to scramble over rocks and through bushes. Food (e.g. an energy bar, or energy gel packet, electrolytes) because it gives you energy to think clearly, helps raise your metabolism to get you warmer, and raises morale. Water bottle for obvious reasons (and I wouldn't worry about a filter straw if they are within a couple of hours of safety because dirty water probably won't effect them in that time, and once they're safe it doesn't matter if they have diarrhoea etc because it can be dealt with). Whistle to attract attention, particularly helpful if they are panicking. +1 on poncho/tarp mentioned above, but probably just wearing suitable clothing of any form would do (warm, waterproof and windproof coat; beanie and gloves; waterproof hiking shoes. As a side note I personally think these are the single most important items - much more so than a PSK - because they prevent problems from occurring in the first place, which is ten times better than trying to solve them after they occur). Compass to prevent panic because you know you can head in a certain direction towards safety, even if you don't know exactly where you are. Compression bandage and triangular bandage to deal with sprains etc (if you can fit them).

So I would think about replacing the fire steel with a dozen matches in a plastic bag (which is smaller than a waterproof plastic case) with a flattened match box with striking face included (whole box because it's easier to grip with numb hands). Remove the filter straw and cordage (neither are necessary for short term situations or coping with mental and physical exhaustion). Make sure the flashlight is a compact head torch (e.g. Petzl e+LITE which is extremely small) so it can be used hands-free and also not get dropped and lost. Consider adding a couple of packets of energy gel, and a sachet of electrolytes (a plastic bag can be used to mix it with water if they don't have a water bottle), to deal with the effects of physical exhaustion. Moleskin or bandaids to treat blisters (severe blisters and extremely sore feet = a cumulative physical and psychological effect which leads to other problems). The rest of your kit looks perfect (compass, tinder, whistle; small knife even if just for morale purposes because everyone likes a knife).

... Altoid tin is a good size "Minimal" PSK IMO (Miro Straw doesn't fit in one unfortunately)

One thing IMHO people do wrong with an Altoids kit is NOT packing items inside which might actually be needed in mundane life. Here is an example from my last outing. The tab on my can-o-fish broke. Used the little can opened in the Altoids kit.

Speaking of things walking there was some compressed cotton tinder which vanished for that pic. Took me 5-minutes to see it somehow rolled out into the white snow. Another 10 minutes to then find it. Wire is also an item people sometimes over look but can come in useful. Got a little roll in the above Altoids. The green wooly bugger fly is deadly on a line if yea want to add fishing to the kit. But because it is such a good general purpose fly (unless the trout have keyed in on a hatch) often I am in short supply. Must have replaced that fly a 1/2 dozen times. Works on nearly anything with fins.Thread pre set on a sewing pin has been used and replaced a few times. Anti bacterial packets have been used and replaced. The Al foil has been taken out and used for a makeshift pot lid. I have used and replaced the two Micropur tabs during outings. I also dumped the little SAK. It was ok but for harder use it wouldn't cut it. Couldn't toss sparks from a rock. Would from a firesteel but needed to use the little blade. Then again I could use a sharp rock. Still more options is always better unless those options are all bad. LOL! Now use one from Wolf Creek Forge which could be hafted to a larger stick or grasped with the hands to do actual work. Also have a Tops/Turley model 23. Being a skilled knife maker you probably could or have already made such a smaller flat knife without scales. I use painter's tape for a sheath to save space in the little tin.

In anycase if someone looks at an Altoids PSK like a small possibles tin rather than a fantasy zombie apocalypse PSK or Man vs. Wild thing other options might be considered which may or may not be of greater use.

Last edited:
*snip*
In anycase if someone looks at an Altoids PSK like a small possibles tin rather than a fantasy zombie apocalypse PSK or Man vs. Wild thing other options might be considered which may or may not be of greater use.

I tend to carry second skin "compeed" bandaids for blisters and vaseline for chafing. In case of SHTF I also have no-poop-pills and toilet paper. Then there is a set of tweezers for ticks and splinters.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Currawong, you point out huge things that I had not thought about in depth. Being in Utah we have to worry about the cold and hot as we can reach 90 F+ and down to near freezing in a 24 hr. Period in some areas, It is very difficult to wear appropriate clothing to make it through an unplanned night in such a Climate. Your point of being prepared by wearing the right clothing is a big one IMO!

I have had blisters and know how much they hinder movement, in the case of kids lost may be a blessing so they don't continue to wander. I thinkthing the SOL blanket would work as bedding and shelter from wind and rain. I undersand the benifits of a Poncho and will consider those options for sure. Moleskin, Foil and small bic lighter are on the list!!

This is what I am referring to as the Minimal List PSK:

I do carry a water bottle anytime I am in the hills, so the suggestion to replace the water straw for Sealed purification tablets would free up a lot of space which will be used for a small bic lighter, heavy duty foil will be added. If I am spending the night I don't want to end up with Giardia, If I run out of tablets then I have crossed that line of care vs survival. When I have a small bag / Camelback I will throw a poncho in the bottom for sure!

"I will throw a poncho in the bottom for sure!" For sure? Nothing IMHO is assured. Exposure and dehydration is what's going to put the hurt on. The fire helps mitigate exposure but shelter and rain gear could tip the balance in a person's favor. Exposure is a death of a 1000 cuts. What if yea forget or don't foresee the need of taking the small bag? What if yea simply forgot the poncho? What if that bag gets lost or separated from your control and all yea got is that minimalist kit? Anyone remember that family who died on a road walking a few miles back to their camping ground in heavy just above freezing rain? Hours not days was enough to kill them all. My cheap disposable Mylar blanker, those 2 dollar ones reflected heat from this fire holding up to a good rain later that night.

The items from the minimalist kit could be used in combination with your packed poncho to reflect some extra heat as we did here. This Mylar was part of my larger PSK but the Golite poncho part of my daykit. Chocolate and peanut butter mixed rather well.

I would consider one of those cheaper Mylar blankets or clear plastic ponchos. They both tend to come similar in size to a deck of playing cards costing about 2 bucks each. I kinda like the cheaper ones because they pack down crazy small and I don't mind breaking them open if needed just for short term comfort. I also give them away to those without rain gear. Not that I don't also like SOL/AMK stuff.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/coempo.html

http://www.campingsurvival.com/cosusospbl.html

http://www.campingsurvival.com/posubl.html

http://www.coleman.com/product/coleman-emergency-poncho/2000009259#.Ux9FyPldXMY

http://www.coleman.com/product/emergency-poncho/2000006803#.Ux9F-fldXMY

I would replace the fat wood with one of those above items. Your mag block is really a firesteel with tinder anyways. Do we need two types of tinder in a minimalist kit? Maybe or maybe not as no two people have the same perceptions as to their needs. On a side note who makes is that block? Also a bright orange or yellow small paracord loop would be nice on it.

Last edited:
Back