RYP, what is the typical Gear you bring while traveling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RYP,
I am curious as many others are I am sure about what your typical gear selection is when you are traveling. I know it would change depending on places / situations, but it would be helpful to learn from your experience. It would be great if you had some pictures we could look at as well.

Thanks

Just an FYI for you, RYP is in Somalia the month of January. Not sure if he will see this message. Just don't want you to think he's dissing you by not answering.

^ Thanks for responding RYP and be safe!

I know nothing about cameras and often wondered what a good EDC will be that's small yet serviceable enough not attract too much attention while travelling abroad.

^ Thanks for responding RYP and be safe!

I know nothing about cameras and often wondered what a good EDC will be that's small yet serviceable enough not attract too much attention while travelling abroad.

the Panasonic Lumix cameras are good stuff. i have two (a DMC-FX12 and a something-50)

but as far as attracting attention goes, i suspect sometimes just being a white guy in western clothes is enough to get everyone's attention... that is assuming you fit that description.

I'm liking the generic dollar-store-looking canteen/water filter.

I just ordered the Seychelle Canteen Advanced to try out. Seems like a good product.

Plus one on the Viberg boots. I have them with caulk soles for working in the bush. A bit pricey but worth every penny.

What advantage do caulk soles offer? I've never heard of them.

If you're walking on wet logs, the advantage is you don't end up in a cast or two.

Vibergs are the Canadian equiv. (more or less) of White's or Nick's here in the U.S.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

http://www.nicksboots.com/

Best $300 you'll ever spend. I'm a Nicks guy myself, but plenty of White's fanboys out there too. Go ahead, walk up to a logger and call him a fanboy!!!!!
P.S. if you call, it's pronounced "corks" or "corked".

Shanny,

Which Nick model do you have now?

I def. dig the Hotshot model. The >1" thick sole is no joke.

Viberg's version has ~ 1 " thick too~!

Shanny,

Which Nick model do you have now?

I def. dig the Hotshot model. The >1" thick sole is no joke.

Viberg's version has ~ 1 " thick too~!

I'm on my third pair of Hotshots since 1988. I only get one full rebuild out
of a pair, some (skinnier) guys do better. Mine have fought fire in 20 states,
some (single) guys do better there, too!

If you're walking on wet logs, the advantage is you don't end up in a cast or two.

No just wet logs any bush what so ever. They are a requirement by WorkSafe BC to be worn during all forestry and most logging activities in BC. You would not make it 10 feet in this bush without them. There are also ceramic tipped 'corks' that pretty much last forever. They are also made in 'rubber boot' format for wet weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back