S!K vs CPK

Whatever happened to TimiChango?! He was so vocal on here and also on CPK sub, but feel off the face of the Eath as it seems! Hope all's well with Timi.

Haiii!!!

Talk about timing! Was away on vacay in Hawaii for the front-end of December, and then hanging with family over the tail end, and then all wrapped up in playing catch-up with my business in January, so was taking a bit of a break from social media and forums across the board (generally avoiding the computer). But here I be :) Feels all warm and fuzzy to be missed :)

Hope you all had a fantastic holiday season!

I'm not a huge fan of the CPK designs. I find that they look a bit to 'artsy' for my taste
I prefer the no nonsense look of the SK

When it comes to matrials, fit and finish and function both companies are excellent

In the hand, the CPK FK doesn't feel artsy at all —*there's nothing there that shouldn't be. To me, artsy denotes unnecessary ornamentation that gets in the way of function, but the FK is an exceedingly neutral feeling knife, IMHO.

Realistically, the 4.7 and CPK have more in common than not. I'd take either one to do the same types of work, I think. For me, they're functionally redundant, and I'd be hard-pressed to assert which one I like better. Slight edge to my CPK, probably, just on account of it being D3V while my 4.7 is CruForge. The cruforge gets insaaaanely sharp, but I'm a sucker for an uncoated blade, and I've hung up my FK wet in the past couple of months, a few times, and it hasn't rusted at all, so splitting hairs, that blend of toughness and stainlessness is cool.

Anyways, I'm equally happy taking either one out to the woods with me. They're both great in the hand, and functional, for the things I use a midsized knife for.

Really, it's boiling down to carry, for me: I've got the stock kydex clip on the S!K, and a drop-loop on the CPK, so whichever of those I want to use dictates what I grab on the way out.

I'd almost like to see someone build the knife that is in the middle of the "ven diagram" of those two knives. Mostly GSO handle, mostly FK blade!

That'd be something to covet, for sure.

I'd almost like to see someone build the knife that is in the middle of the "ven diagram" of those two knives. Mostly GSO handle, mostly FK blade!

(All S!K Sheath though).

The Venn it is!
The only thing I like about the FK sheath is that its more compact.

Interesting topic....It seems we have a Ford vs Chevy thread!

Or Ferrari vs Lamborghini?

Welcome back timichango!

I agree with you 101% about the FK being a fully functional cutting tool. It's probably just a coincidence that it also looks a little 'artsy'.

So far I'm thinking I also have a slight preference for the FK. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that thumb ramp. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
That 4.1 though..........

It may be a few days, but I'll see about pulling the scales on my FK and 4.1 and doing some overlay shots...

The CPK FK and S!K 4.1 blades are remarkably similar. The overlays show the blades aligned along the edge (right outline) and the handles more lined up (left outline). The 4.1 handle is straighter than the 4.1 by just a little bit. I have reviewed that elsewhere...

What really cannot be shown by the outline is the side-to-side width of the handles. The FK is thicker near the front fastener, but the "belly" of the handle is more in the middle. The 4.1 handle is thinner/slightly tapered toward the front fastener, but the belly is also more forward. I really have no idea which would be more comfortable for long use. My 4.7 just locks into my hand, and both the CPK and 4.1 handles are slimmer, and don't seem to fill my hand like the 4.7. At this point I am splitting hairs, but we do tend to geek out on these sorts of details, do we not?

I do believe I would prefer the FK/4.7 Venn. If I am going to daydream about a knife that does not exist, that's it.

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me a bit is that thumb ramp. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

I don't love ramps usually, but I dig that it's nice and eased off thanks to Nathan's sweet machining. No jaggies. That's the main thing that I never liked about my BKRT Gunny (and which ultimately led to me getting rid of it): the jaggy thumb ramp. Tore up my thumb more than once.

On the FK, though, it's enough traction to give a bit of resistance to push against for hard forward cuts — particularly with a wet knife and/or with gloves —*without annoying a bare thumb. Also (trick from the Gunny days), you can stick your thumb in FRONT of the ramp as a good choke-up spot for more control.

All of which brings up one point I'll make comparing the FK and 4.7 — I like the CPK FK better than the S!K 4.7 with a heavy glove on — the extra room on the handle, and the ramp, work better with thick gloves. I find the 4.7 handle runs out of room with anything thicker than an unlined leather glove, both in terms of handle length, and the forward finger pocket.

I should be getting my CPK Field Knife in a few days and I'll compare it to my Survive! knives. I'm curious because I've been wanting a Field Knife for awhile, but love my Survive! blades. It'll be interesting to compare them.

Haiii!!!

Talk about timing! Was away on vacay in Hawaii for the front-end of December, and then hanging with family over the tail end, and then all wrapped up in playing catch-up with my business in January, so was taking a bit of a break from social media and forums across the board (generally avoiding the computer). But here I be :) Feels all warm and fuzzy to be missed :)

Hope you all had a fantastic holiday season!

There he is! Glad to hear that you've been taking some time off for yourself in need of R&R plus pouring time into your own Biz, away from social media and such :)

I don't love ramps usually, but I dig that it's nice and eased off thanks to Nathan's sweet machining. No jaggies. That's the main thing that I never liked about my BKRT Gunny (and which ultimately led to me getting rid of it): the jaggy thumb ramp. Tore up my thumb more than once.

On the FK, though, it's enough traction to give a bit of resistance to push against for hard forward cuts — particularly with a wet knife and/or with gloves —*without annoying a bare thumb. Also (trick from the Gunny days), you can stick your thumb in FRONT of the ramp as a good choke-up spot for more control.

All of which brings up one point I'll make comparing the FK and 4.7 — I like the CPK FK better than the S!K 4.7 with a heavy glove on — the extra room on the handle, and the ramp, work better with thick gloves. I find the 4.7 handle runs out of room with anything thicker than an unlined leather glove, both in terms of handle length, and the forward finger pocket.

Agree about the ramp. I didn't like 'em on Barkies, and they're the only thing I don't like about some Beckers. It's a very smooth feel on the EDC and FK though, no need to wrap your thump around them or any other shenanigans.

Have you handled a 5.1? I prefer the 4.7 handle but haven't messed around with heavy gloves on it, if you're looking for more real estate on the handle the 5.1 has it.

Nice overlays you did there TR!

I thought I would do a quick hybrid sketch in CAD (at work) to see what it would look like.
I reduced the "elf choil" a bit to keep chiral happy :)

32292457401_4fc43f2655_z.jpg

I just picked up a CPK LC which I quite like. I don't have a GSO 10, but would love to hear from someone who has both that could do a comparison.

I've got the 10 but not the LC. That was the only thing that kept me from going for the light chopper, I'm well pleased with the 10. The handle on the LC looks like it would beat out the GSO in the ergonomics department though, which seems weird to say what with Guy's ergos, but I think is correct in this case. I like the 10 for chopping, not so much batoning. I really want a new 10 when they come out, but I agree that seeing a comparison from someone who has both would be interesting.

I've got the 10 but not the LC. That was the only thing that kept me from going for the light chopper, I'm well pleased with the 10. The handle on the LC looks like it would beat out the GSO in the ergonomics department though, which seems weird to say what with Guy's ergos, but I think is correct in this case. I like the 10 for chopping, not so much batoning. I really want a new 10 when they come out, but I agree that seeing a comparison from someone who has both would be interesting.
You should give me your 10, I'd beat them equally 😀.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The handle on the new GSO 10 looks better to me than the old one. The LC is light enough that I could see adding it to my backpacking set up. My only comparable blade is the ASH2 with g10 handles and it seems much heavier (don't own scales to actually get data). I'm curious about how the GSO 10 would stack up.

...also, I find the choil on the LC to be just a bit too small to be comfortable to use. My GSO 5.1 has a bigger and much more comfy, usable choil. I would hope the same would be true on the 10.

I'm curious about that new handle as well. As far as the choil on the current model 10, it's a good one, very usable. I don't have an ASH2, but I do have a NMFSH which is much heavier than the GSO 10. The big steel heart is a better blade to baton with, but the GSO beats it for chopping, even though its lighter. I don't think the 10 would get badly embarrassed by many blades. Probably can't hang with that new 12 when it comes out though :)

ETA: Here are a few thoughts on the 10 from some time out with it last spring.

Last edited:
Back