[S]Ya'll[/S] Y'all knives too thick

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yeah that's right, they're too thick. Some of these things are as thick as a damn hatchet! They're all twice as thick as they need to be. Every damn one of 'em. A little bit of flexibility from being thinner could be considered a strength under shock loads, you know. o_O

And what's with the obtuse Degrees Per Side edge angles? 20-25 dps? That's like a 45 degree included angle. That's like the corner of a box. It's not supposed to be a splitting maul. :rolleyes:

They all need to be thinner. And sharper! :mad:

12 DPS...you want thinner?
SyT9wt4.jpg

Totally agree.

I am a bit frustrated with the current knife market, which is dominated by overly thick blades and with less thin blade options.
Regarding the edge angle, even door stoppers are more acute!
Bummer!

This is thin.
Feist_REK_edge.JPG

Very nice, Miso. :thumbsup: I can almost feel it as that thin blade glides through material smoothly and effortlessly, stressing neither the knife mechanics nor the user.

This is reground ! But it should be polished to shiny... Just don't ask me, I'm into japanese blades now and the raw standard is 10° ps. It gets refined on the stone at something less, of course. The thin slices of fish just fly off the cutting board, just like that. And that's so nice ! The hand polish of these edges is something out of this world. It's better than shiny, it's a matte shiny on its own...And the blades are generally about 1 mm stock (0.04") but tapering to the tip... all good I tell ya !

Last edited:
This is reground ! But it should be polished to shiny... Just don't ask me, I'm into japanese blades now and the raw standard is 10° ps. It gets refined on the stone at something less, of course. The thin slices of fish just fly off the cutting board, just like that. And that's so nice ! The hand polish of these edges is something out of this world. It's better than shiny, it's a matte shiny on its own...And the blades are generally about 1 mm stock (0.04") but tapering to the tip... all good I tell ya !

Pic not showing.

For those of us who have actually worked outside for a living, we know something many modern knife owners and commenters do not know....the world is not made out of paper and cardboard, or, even clean manila rope....it is made of flesh, bone, wood with black shiny hearts, staples, nails, spinning stripped screws, holes which need to be gouged, wires and reinforced tubing and belts needing cutting, and NOW....and that big yellow thing in the sky, we call "the sun", WAIT! don't run, it won't hurt you, not at first...

But, for all the cubical dwellers, a box of safety razor blades will certainly do....

For those of us who have actually worked outside for a living, we know something many modern knife owners and commenters do not know....the world is not made out of paper and cardboard, or, even clean manila rope....it is made of flesh, bone, wood with black shiny hearts, staples, nails, spinning stripped screws, holes which need to be gouged, wires and reinforced tubing and belts needing cutting, and NOW....and that big yellow thing in the sky, we call "the sun", WAIT! don't run, it won't hurt you, not at first...

But, for all the cubical dwellers, a box of safety razor blades will certainly do....

But don't you like to have a thin blade for some other tasks?

I like thin knives and I cannot lie...

Case Trapper, Case Backpocket, various SAKs, Buck 382, CRKT Swindle, Opinel No 8, and some tiny thin Spyderco I don't remember the name of all weigh in as my most carried knives.

You can use a well-designed thin knife made of a tough steel for non-cubicle tasks; may even work better in many (most?) cases.

Back