S30V Holds an Edge!

I asked a friend to bring back a kitchen carving knife I made him a few months ago. I was only interested in the matching up the handle for his next knife. He is a vegetable freak and slices/chops lots of stuff with it everyday. So, I expected I'd have to sharpen it for him.

Dang if that thing doesn't still have a great edge on it!! :eek:

This is the first exposure I've had to a heavy use S30V blade and I am thoughly impressed - OK amazed.

Now I have to make a complete set for me and the wife.

Steve

kitchen1.jpg

BTW it was heattreated at 1950, with 650 degree tempers, and cryo.

If you read the article in Blade Magazine featuring Rob Simonich's testing of this material you would have already known that it not only holds an edge on the same level as one of Fisk's forged blades, but also is as tough as just about any knife steel on the market.

Crucible worked long and hard on getting this steel right, making it a quantum leap up from what was available a few short years ago!!!!:eek:

As a side note, beautiful looking blade that I'd be happy to have on cutting board here in my kitchen. I love my little old chicago cutlery set, but they sure as heck don't look as nice as that.

I've noticed the same thing on the s30v paring knife I made my lady before Christmas. She is very hard on knives. I'm making a s30v Bird & Trout right now. 1950 F. - 28 min., deep cryo - 16 hours, 3 tempers at 625 F. - 2 hour 15 min. each temper.

Roger

Steve, that is one great looking knife. I really like the black
bolsters. How thick is the blade?

Thanks Don & ETP777.

The blade is a bit less than 1/8" (started out as 1/8 sheared). The bolster is just Mircata with hidden pins. However, it really sets off the redwood.

In fact I sold 6 more knives based off this design.

Tom,

I did read that article. I was amazed at the toughness and discounted the edge holding. But now that I've seen it for myself.....

Steve

That blade profile would make a good foundation for a Mediterranean knife also.:)

Great job, Steve. I read the article Tom mentioned too but, I usually like to see for myself anyway.

Rob is my good buddy and a very honest man. You can trust what he says to be the truth. He aint in this business to scam anyone.

This Simonich article in Blade gets mentioned so often - and I just can´t fine it anywhere on the net - and can´t get the magazine in germany either :-(

Anyone have a scan or can post it ?

TIA

Klaus

Back