Recommendation? S45VN edge type?

What do you all find is a good edge type for this CRK steel? I’ve been sharpening at 20 per side and polishing to 6 micron but it seems as though it’s not very toothy. I know polishing will do that but normally a very keen edge will grab material and cut. I feel as if it glides across with no pressure but it’s stupid sharp once it cuts in. What do you all run with? And how long does the edge last (I judge by looking at the edge under light and seeing if it’s shiny (flat).

My sebenza is in s45vn. I freehand sharpen and typically use a DMT fine stone which I think is about 600 grit ( that might be wrong). I clean the burr up with a 6000 grit king stone and a 1 micron strop but these passes are very light and minimal. Ive been pretty happy with the performance of this so far. It eats though anything no problem and holds its edge just fine. Oh yeah I also shoot for about 20 degrees as well.

The edge I mentioned above is a great EDC edge itll shave and even whittle hair if your really carful removing the burr. It wont push cut as well as a polished edge but last a long time and turns into a great working edge. No edge will whittle hair for very long because the apex of the knife is so extremly fine but it should shave for a while and turn into a good practical working edge for a long time.

Worksharp precision adjust 20 degrees and I polish with the ceramic if time allows I’ve finished with 800 before and it actually held up longer than a polished edge but not nearly as pretty

I'm no expert, but I think s45 likes to have a refinded but not a polished edge. Edge retention suffers when the edge is too coarse, but it loses its bite when polished. I use a wicked edge and I stop at 1000 grit, then clean up the apex 4/2 micron strops. Occasionally I need something like a 10 micron strop before the 4/2.

I like mine off 400 grit diamonds (or less), a few swipes on a strop or the back of a leather belt and it’s ready to go. The edge lasts a long time and is great for EDC use. I find this true for most steals, for me and my use (basic edc stuff in the shop) coarser edges last longer and bite better

I have done a quick touch up on the brown sharpmaker rods but that’s as fine as I go with any pocket knife.

Last edited:
I have my s45 at about an 17-18 degree edge. I am currently stopping at a dmt 1000 grit diamond stone, but am still experimenting with what works well and holds best for my use!

I've had my S45VN Lg Sebenza 31 for nine months & I just use 20 degrees on the Spydie Sharpmaker, first with the medium, then extra fine sticks. Just like with all my other CRK's.

As for edge holding, I find it lasts a little bit longer than the S35VN, but that's just my observation from daily use. I have no scientific proof.

And a pic:
View attachment 1844363

20220621_183519.jpg

This is s45vn with the edge on it i described above. Very very sharp and holds an edge as expected.

Back