S90V Bugout

Just checking to see if anyone else has run into this issue. Purchased cabon fiber handled s90v Benchmade bugout. Opened box I immediately notice a little discoloration on tip of blade. I didn’t really think anything about it. The s90v didn’t hold an edge very well compared to my s30v weekender or my other bugout with m390 blade. Sent back to Benchmade for inspection. I was first told that maybe I had “Micro-beveled the blade.. nope! Then was told that “maybe” being sharped @ 20 degree instead of factory of 15-17 degree was the problem. Benchmade offered to replace blade for a grand total of $130 including shipping. I declined. Told them to send it back. I’m know now not to spend money on Benchmade. I’ve only been a Benchmade customer for 30 years.

Last edited:
Need more info: did you buy it 2nd hand? was the knife sharpened by you or someone else after purchased? The Benchmade response seems to suggest it is no longer factory edge. Happen to have some pictures of the knife especially the tip to share?

No, I bought it retail. Yes.. I did sharpen it. Tip just had so light discoloration that I didn’t think anything about. The Bugout is on its way back. I’ll post pics when it returns.

Should have just returned the knife to the retailer as soon as seeing the discoloration. Also, s90v definitely holds a sharp edge longer than s30v (I have been carrying a cf/s90v Bugout for more than a year). Probably need a couple more sharpening sessions to get rid of the factory edge.

Back