Saddlehorn

Don't see too many of this pattern posted in here so, here's a fat stag fella.
Greg

orig.jpg

That one is really nice. A new pickup? I don't think there were as many of the two-bladers made?

And again, great photo.

Not a new one Mike. I have a few of these. One with thicker stag. This one measures 1 inch across on the butt end and is 4 3/4 inches closed. A real handfull.
Greg

Greg,

That's a beauty. One of my favorite patterns even if it is quite a load for the pocket.

Thanks Blues. The Saddlehorn is one of my favorites too. Tony made some real beauties but I could never quite get my hands on one.
Greg

I have a set of A2 blades/springs waiting patiently for some "handling" :) Gotta love the saddlehorn. :thumbup:

The only saddlehorn I own is a lowly CASE in stag, but a decent small knife.

Anyone know the origin of its name and its prime use/advantage?

It's a trapper and the curved end of the handle resembles the horn on a saddle. Some are more prominent than others. I would imagine this trapper, with the large skinning blade, would be used a lot on bigger game. When skinning, you are using more of a draw motion than a push and the horn on the end would keep your hand in place on the handle. Just a thought. By the way, that Case Saddlehorn is a nice design in my book.
Greg

Here's a Terry Davis saddlehorn; sole authorship knife. Aren't some of Bob Cargill's knives sole author also, Greg??
terrydavissaddlehorn.jpg

Wow, that's a great knife with GREAT bone, Charlie! :thumbup:

One from that Big Ol' South Texan, Ruple. One of my favorites to say the least. Right at 4 1/2" closed. Waynorth, don't know about Cargill's sole authorship. Could be.
Greg

orig.jpg

Here is one from Joe "Cable Joe" Allen. Joe's grinds are very clean and his fit and finish is perfect. This is the small size Saddlehorn at 3 1/2" closed. It is the perfect size for edc.

I don't see alot of his knives or hear his name much. He is a real pleasure to deal with. His prices are reasonable and his wait time is not too long right now!

It's a trapper and the curved end of the handle resembles the horn on a saddle. Some are more prominent than others. I would imagine this trapper, with the large skinning blade, would be used a lot on bigger game. When skinning, you are using more of a draw motion than a push and the horn on the end would keep your hand in place on the handle. Just a thought. By the way, that Case Saddlehorn is a nice design in my book.
Greg

Thanks for the info:thumbup:

I must say the Case is very well finished, can't really understand all this moaning about Case QC. The ones I have are very good or is it because they are very new? Are older models more problematic,dicey?

Here is one from Joe "Cable Joe" Allen. Joe's grinds are very clean and his fit and finish is perfect. This is the small size Saddlehorn at 3 1/2" closed. It is the perfect size for edc.

I don't see alot of his knives or hear his name much. He is a real pleasure to deal with. His prices are reasonable and his wait time is not too long right now!

That looks very appealing!

Can you give his on-line address please?

I'm not sure if he has a website up and going right now. He makes a great knife, but doesn't seem to be a computer person. He does have an e-mail address: cablejoeknives@earthlink.net, or can be reached by telephone at 812-385-8709.

Back