Safe maker and steel tiger

Hi guys, my first thread. The safe makers, steel tiger and I think the counter tac boot knives were previously made in Japan with VG-1. They are now made in AUS-8A. I am not sure but I think they are also made in Taiwan.

I have a safe keeper 2 in AUS-8A and a steel tiger in VG-1. I am interested in the safe maker but I'm not sure if I want another push dagger with the same steel and also made in Taiwan. Does anyone have experience with the old Japan VG-1 vs new AUS-8A in Taiwan? I like the price but I don't know if the safe keeper and safe maker are too similar now.

Cold Steel usually does a great job on their steel . Only problem I ever had with their AUS8 was on the bead blasted finish that could develop some small stain spots if not protected . Easy to polish out and to prevent .

On these small SD knives , a "super steel" is not necessary .

On a push knife , even their Grivory models would function adequately for their primary purpose .

Yeah I know you are right! I actually just wanted to talk myself out of it because I'm pretty much broke. But with that price it haunts me not to buy one

nothing to add to what DocJD said, these are beauties and will perform adequately in any steel you choose

iWAlT7Z.jpg

and I've only gotten problems from their AUS8 in bead blasted (Ti-Lite, mainly) models as well

I like the overall looks and pointier tip on the safe maker more than the safe keeper. Although I am not a huge fan of the chisel grind on the safe maker, that's why I want both

I've been looking for a Safe Maker 1 for months now, but the big river store doesn't seem to carry them anymore for some reason.

Back