SAK addiction

I don't know who to blame, but I definitely blame somebody for my affliction. Things started out simple. There were only a few examples that I wanted to get once I learned about them.

But then I found the SAKwiki and learned about all the various details associated with Victorinox knives, and suddenly I'm buying models I once never had an interest in. In the past few days I've purchased nearly a dozen SAKs off ebay, and I'm not done yet. Classic SDs, Pocket Pals, Spartans and the like. Things have spiraled out of control!

Like I have done, by buying so many sweet toys you are anesthetizing and distracting yourself from your inner - and likely subconscious - turmoil. It's the same coping mechanism employed by hoarders, clean freaks, alcoholics and drug addicts. It's just that our addiction has fewer adverse consequences, so its more socially acceptable. Still weird, but at least acceptable. I'm guessing that I own 40 - 50 SAKs and MTs, btw, and it's not because I "collect" them. With every purchase, I convince myself that I'm actually going to use this one.

Like I have done, by buying so many sweet toys you are anesthetizing and distracting yourself from your inner - and likely subconscious - turmoil. It's the same coping mechanism employed by hoarders, clean freaks, alcoholics and drug addicts. It's just that our addiction has fewer adverse consequences, so its more socially acceptable. Still weird, but at least acceptable. I'm guessing that I own 40 - 50 SAKs and MTs, btw, and it's not because I "collect" them. With every purchase, I convince myself that I'm actually going to use this one.

Oh, so true. There are about a dozen I actually use, some more than others. The rest I keep telling myself I will someday unload for a profit, possible because I usually buy cheap, or gift friends and relatives. This has probably run its course by now since everybody knows what they will get from me for birthday, Christmas or St. Swithins day. Some I bought to try out, a legitimate purpose after which I pass on the rejects. Seldom is there is anything wrong with them, just that they don't fit my uses or personality, although sometimes a few years later I go back to one or another and change my mind. However, the total value of my "collection" is fairly modest when considering the years I have been doing this, so I can justify it as a hobby expense. As an addiction, it's less harmful than booze or drugs. I think.

So this is the collection so far. First up are those in the 58mm category, two Classic SDs:

100_6140_zpseef6679d.jpg

Next the 84mm line, consisting of the Pocket Pal, Recruit, and Tourist:

100_6141_zps82c2e4dd.jpg

Of interest is that the Tourist has scales for the straight pin:

100_6142_zps8a52a657.jpg

Next the sole entry into the 100mm category, the Gardener:

100_6143_zps6c21ccb7.jpg

And finally the popular 91mm catgory, holding the Spartan, two Super Tinkers of different ages, Climber and Fieldmaster:

100_6145_zps98e1f772.jpg

Interesting to note, the Spartan has no scale tools, no eye in the reamer, and a grooved corkscrew.

100_6146_zps8bb216b5.jpg

Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery. I think, though, that there are some benefits to the knife addiction. The more I study and research my knives, the mor I am likely to take care of them and to use them properly. So there are some benefits to being a knife addict.:D

like i have done, by buying so many sweet toys you are anesthetizing and distracting yourself from your inner - and likely subconscious - turmoil. It's the same coping mechanism employed by hoarders, clean freaks, alcoholics and drug addicts. It's just that our addiction has fewer adverse consequences, so its more socially acceptable. Still weird, but at least acceptable. I'm guessing that i own 40 - 50 saks and mts, btw, and it's not because i "collect" them. With every purchase, i convince myself that i'm actually going to use this one.
qft. :)

Charlie_K,
don't forget getting a hold of every known book on SAKs...
it's a very helpful addition to the addiction
also,
get going with a record book
listing your precious legacy
with each model's details
with pictures, prices/receipts and instructions
for the next of kin....

Three more just arrived today. Another Pocket Pal, one pre- '85 Spartan, and one Explorer, practically brand new, that I won for a bid of $5.50.

Edit: And now I just won a Swiss Champ for $42 and it comes with a custom leather carrying case.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I recently decided to seek out stag handled SAKs, and now own 6 of them. This is the one I carry:

SAK-2_zps147216fc.jpg

Looks to me like you need to kick that addiction up a notch. Not a single Alox SAK? Get yourself a Pioneer or a Farmer immediately! Also, if you can swing the size, I think the Outrider is the best outdoor SAK ever made.

I dropped my pocket pal between the spaces in the wood on a dock at a lake. Didn't even make contact with a board, just slipped right through! Still miss that thing!
I've picked up several SAKS over the past few months
2 - One Hand Sentinel Knife
1 - Day Packer Knife (green)
2 - One Hand Trekker Knife - Classic
1 - Alox Diplomat Knife
1 - Companion Knife

The diplomat and companion are basically variations of the Classic, but w/out the tweezers and toothpic.

Looks to me like you need to kick that addiction up a notch. Not a single Alox SAK? Get yourself a Pioneer or a Farmer immediately! Also, if you can swing the size, I think the Outrider is the best outdoor SAK ever made.

The Alox models have been too expensive for my blood. Most of my addiction is fed by hits for less than $10 a pop.

:thumbup: ALOX addiction is hardcore......:D

SAKALOX_zps58c1595c.jpg

attachment6_zpsd0348ff8.jpg

I just got three more today. One Tinker, one Spartan, and the Swisschamp.

But I don't know if it's actually a Swisschamp or an older model. Would the wood saw and fish scaler share a single tool layer?

The Alox models have been too expensive for my blood. Most of my addiction is fed by hits for less than $10 a pop.

I tend to buy SAKs, both Wenger and Victorinox, only on super-duper closeouts or overstock sales. Given that, I only have about thirty. :)
Some of my greatest <$10 scores include the Whistle, the Wenger sports models, a BuckSwiss, and a pocket pal. :thumbup:

I think this Wenger Soccer was $1.50 or so. :cool:
Wengersoccer.jpg

The alox models do cost more, but they are a huge step up from the ordinary. Keep an eye open for closeouts or other sales to pick one up and try. :thumbup:

Aloxmodels.jpg

The Cadet is real nice and not very expensive.

Also:
You have 2 classics, but you really should look at the Rambler for a better 58mm, or the Manager (Rambler with a retractable pen instead of a toothpick).

And:
You need an Explorer and check out the Victorinox Ranger too.

Note:
I'm here to help you with your addiction, I'm an enabler. :cool:

Having first hand experience with alcohol and drug addiction I have to tell you my sak/pocket knife addiction is much easier to live with.:D I don't know if I am trying to comfort some sort of inner turmoil or feeding my inner geek. Either way I think saks are really cool and we all know that a sak in the pocket is a useful tool that helps us deal with life's little chores.
As long as it's fun and your not spending you rent on saks, I think we are doing ok. My 2 cents.

Jim

I'm guessing that I own 40 - 50 SAKs and MTs, btw, and it's not because I "collect" them. With every purchase, I convince myself that I'm actually going to use this one.

This was so close to home that I had to share it with my wife. She asked if it was my own post. :)

Jeff

Somebody help me stop. Today I won a Tinker for $10, and then I won a Huntsman AND Classic for $13 together.

This was so close to home that I had to share it with my wife. She asked if it was my own post. :)

Jeff

Hey! I have (at last count) 23 SAK's.

Between keychains, desks (home and work), toolboxes, bags (including range bag), car trunks and glove boxes, set asides for my 2 boys... I'm running short and could probably use a few more. :cool:

Back