SAK article

This bit caught my eye ' A German doctor last week sent the firm gruesome photos showing how he used a multi-tool knife to cut off the leg of a tsunami victim in Sri Lanka. He would have preferred a saw, he said, but there wasn't one available.'
Wonder if it was a swisstool .Done a search on the web but couldnt find anything.

Dunc

The article proves Swiss Army's adaptability in the face of circumstances beyond their control.

Thanks for the link. I hope the company can get past this, it was bad enough when Schrade went under. I wonder about other companies as well like Opinel. How were they affected by the terrorist attacks and the current world market?

yobbos1 said:
Thanks for the link. I hope the company can get past this, it was bad enough when Schrade went under. I wonder about other companies as well like Opinel. How were they affected by the terrorist attacks and the current world market?

Funny you should say that , just bought an opinel No 7 today and i will stick it on the lansky sometime tomorrow .

Dunc

stevekt said:
Interesting article.

Thanks stevekt ive got a victorinox swisstool spirit on order , cant wait till it gets here and i hope its as good as a standard swisstool .Going to get a soldier in the next few days aswell .Just doing my bit :)

Dunc

That was disturbing. I didn't know how close they were to closing down. BTW i have 2 Swiss Champs on order. 1 of 'em is for my dad. I think the most useful thing on the SAK is the metal saw. No other tool i know has this. My dad actually used it twice to cut up my neighbours padlock.

I hope they (Victorinox) can maintain their operations. I would hate to see sak production bid out to a least cost producer. Unfortunately, this seems to be a popular trend.

Andy

I bought a red Spartan a few weeks ago for a camping trip and have a clear blue Tinker on the way. I'm already thinking about a black Compact. I think I can stop at 3 SAK's. :D

It really is a shame the way new airline measures pretty much destroyed a major portion of SAK sales. I never knew Duty-Free and airline gift shops were such a significant source of income for Victorinox.

stevekt said:
It really is a shame the way new airline measures pretty much destroyed a major portion of SAK sales. I never new Duty-Free and airline gift shops were such a significant source of income for Victorinox.

Airline security would improve by leaps and bounds if they also banned passengers! The Powers That Be could simply levy one more tax on the middle class. The Airline Tax -- :eek: -- would keep the airline industry afloat. It would also keep every plane grounded and thus safe from hijacking. I think I'm onto something here.

There is a great artical in this months Knives Illustrated (10/05) "The Real Story" by our own Bernard Lavine. A very good read!

-Scott

stratocaster said:
There is a great artical in this months Knives Illustrated (10/05) "The Real Story" by our own Bernard Lavine. A very good read!

-Scott

Is there any way we can read it online ?

It is a terrible thing that has happend to the knife business due to 9/11..
But did anyone notice that the knife the reporter describes the 20 year old soldier carrying having a file?(and failed to mention the awl/punch) thats not what the standard issue victorinox "soldier" or "Officer" model has.....accuracy in the media, did he really even talk to a swiss soldier I wonder.

dunc5 said:
Is there any way we can read it online ?

I think the publication is copywritten, those of us here in the US could go out and buy the magazine, and help support that medium. For you dunc5 maybe go over to the Bernard Lavine forum (right here on BF) and ask if he would send you a link?

Thanks,
Scott

Back