SAK for a lady friend?

One of my best friends' birthday is coming up and I want to get her a good knife. The one she has is fugly:barf: . So which SAK would you recommend? Price should be no more than 20USD. A little more would be ok. Thanks for looking.

Something simple that won't be too big or bulky so she'll carry it. Classic, Ambassador or Executive. The Classics come in so many handle types that it you should be able to find one for her.

The Victorinox Classic is a very, very popular model that people like - she might like some of the pastel colors that they come in:
53005_l.jpg

classic
size:58 mm | 2 1/4 inch
Small blade
Scissors
Nail file with screwdriver tip
Toothpick
Tweezers
Key ring
Can be as low as under $9 from Wal*Mart

A model that may "WoW" is the Signature II Lite - that combines a Pen and red LED light in the handle all in the size of a standard Classic -
55193_l.jpg

signature ll lite
size:58 mm | 2 1/4 inch
Small blade
Scissors
Retractable pen
Nail file with screwdriver tip
Mini light
Key ring
Low priced at under $16

There are also metal handled versions of the Classic (but all lose the tools in the handles like - toothpick, tweezers)

Alox Classic #53012:
53012_l.jpg

Low priced at about $13

or the plainer Companion in Silver Alox #53758:
53758_l.jpg

and Red anodized Alox #53752:
53752_l.jpg

Also both low priced at about $13

and even several fancy sterling silver models (at much higher prices):
53029_l.jpg

Low priced at about $70

A regular sized SAK is also very handy - this is a really nice model:
Victorinox Compact #54941
54941_l.jpg

compact knife
size:91 mm | 3 1/2 inch
Large blade
Scissors
Hook
Bottle opener with can opener, wire stripper and large screwdriver
Mini screwdriver
Corkscrew
Straight pin
Ball point pen
Tweezers
Key ring
Toothpick
I've seen this at about $20

Thanks for your time, guys. I knew you'd chime in soon, Vincent:D . I'm going for the pink Classic. She thinks it's cute. I don't think there's a Wal-mart around here that carries that color, though. Oh well, I guess I'll have to shop around. Thanks again for your help.

I'm thinking about getting a Compact for EDC. My Huntsman is a bit thick for my pocket. Is the Compact only two backsprings wide? I like the Yeoman too, but I think it is wider than the Compact.

Originally posted by Diamond Cut II
Thanks for your time, guys. I knew you'd chime in soon, Vincent:D . I'm going for the pink Classic.

:eek: seems like my reputation Exceeds me (embarrassed :eek: )

You can use www.Froogle.com and enter Victorinox Classic Pink to find low prices -
but be warned the lowest price - has a shipping charge that's more expensive than the knife itself..........

www.discountknives.com will beat any total price (including shipping) - they have it at $10 - but a flat shipping rate of $3.85 Priority Mail
(Brian can get busy and it's Memorial weekend - so I'd suggest writing e-mail to him and get a reply, before you order)

Originally posted by BOILER
Is the Compact only two backsprings wide? I like the Yeoman too, but I think it is wider than the Compact.

The Compact is indeed only two backsprings wide - one for the main blade and combo tool at each end, and the other for the scissors (and hook thingy on the back)

The Yeoman is one backspring wider, for the added Phillips screwdriver and the magnifying glass at each end.

The long discontinued and very sought after Vic Scientist is also only two backsprings wide
(ie: Scientist is the Yeoman withOUT the scissors/hook - but that might be important for some)

If anyone wants a Scientist at $27.50, hopefully Paul Elsener might still have some left out of the 10 he had tracked down:

Victorinox Scientists Located!

fc1bead1.jpg

how about a swisswriter? one of the classics that has a pen, in a nice pink, or purple perhap? I bought my wife, when we were dating, a purple swisswriter that she really liked. From there on she came to appreciate different knives. Now she has a kershaw scallion, a buck (not sure if its an odyssey?), an orion folder, and two sak's.

Originally posted by rev_jch
how about a swisswriter? one of the classics that has a pen, in a nice pink, or purple perhap? I bought my wife, when we were dating, a purple swisswriter that she really liked.

Oooh.... never would have thought of that -

the gentle art of SAKduction :) :D :D

I'm impressed Rev :)

Those are called Victorinox Signatures -
the current Signature II doesn't come in Pink - but is in Lavender:
54098_l.jpg

Low priced at about $13 (from discountknives.com)

Get her a Victorinox Mini Swiss Champ. Size is about the same as the little Classic, but it's a little thicker due to having more stuff like scissors and extra blades. I carry one EVERY day in the 5th pocket of my jeans. It doesn't even set off the metal detectors at work that I have to go through each time I enter the building.

The Executive might be another suggestion. It's my choice if I have to travel super, super light.

BTW, UnknownVT, you are an incredible source of top notch info!:cool:

Alright, I've narrowed it down to a pink Classic and one of the Signatures. If I can't find one, then I'll have to go with the other:) . Thanks for the info.

I can second the mini swiss champ, I bought my girlfriend one last year and she uses it all the time.

Personally I carry a SAK soldier every day, its only 2 springs deep so is perfect for suit pocket carry and the aluminium handles are very hard wearing. It only has a very small number of tools but these are very well chosen and with a leatherman micra it makes virtually all the tools you will need. :D

unknown,
I gave my mother-in-law a sak classic in white to match her white suv for her birthday a couple years ago. At first she wasnt sure, but then after carrying it for a while was sold on its usefullness ;) .

I gave my mother-in-law a sak classic in white to match her white suv for her birthday a couple years ago. At first she wasnt sure, but then after carrying it for a while was sold on its usefullness ;) .

Not only does the Rev know the art of SAKduction......

he knows how to be SAKcessful with the mother-in-law too :D :D

WoW! you just have to stand in admiration of the the man :D :D :p

Loved the story.

now.....there is my mother, who, when I was a child, was not thrilled about me collecting knives. I gave her a saphire sak classic (a nice shade of blue, her favorite color), mom too found out a little knife can be handy. Then for her birthday this past year a "betty boop" knife for her betty boop collection. Now when she asks me what do you want for your birthday, or Christmas? I say well....and she gets me a rainbow leek, case sowbelly...ect...ect...;) She would have reluctantly done it before...but now with a :)

Then there is my oldest Daughter, beautiful 11 year old girl who wanted a sak huntsman with red ruby translucent handles for her birthday......tears to my eyes :D !!! ....my beautiful child!!!!

I gave her a saphire sak classic (a nice shade of blue, her favorite color), mom too found out a little knife can be handy. Then for her birthday this past year a "betty boop" knife for her betty boop collection. Now when she asks me what do you want for your birthday, or Christmas? I say well....and she gets me a rainbow leek, case sowbelly...ect...ect...;) She would have reluctantly done it before...but now with a :)

Then there is my oldest Daughter, beautiful 11 year old girl who wanted a sak huntsman with red ruby translucent handles for her birthday......tears to my eyes :D !!! ....my beautiful child!!!!

The Rev preaches the way to SAKvation! :D :D :D

actually...only Jesus!!! Of course I do personally encourage the appreciation of a good pocket knife!!!

My wife, who is going to school to get your sign interpretors license goes on a camping trip every quarter. Its called "silent weekend" which means you have to sign or write no voices allowed. Well on the last trip she told me that she needed a more "substantial knife" something bigger, so I gave her a one handed orion folder. When I first met her she could not conceive the idea of collecting pocket knives, now she has a little more appreciation for the pocket knife :D and use ;) .

Back