SAK for first aid kit

In putting togethere a lightweight general purpose first aid kit for car/home/etc. I thought it would be a good idea to include a SAK or similar. I'm looking for recommendations as to which one to include. I'm trying to keep this kit lightweight and functional, so try to suggest the smallest one possible that still does what I need it to, but feel free to suggest one of the bigger ones if you can justify each tool.

Remember I'm not asking for a survival knife just one to include in a first aid kit.

If there's something other than a SAK that would work better feel free to suggest that also.
Thanks

IMHO the Compact model is your best bet. It has full size scissors (as opposed to the Classic's puny one) to cut clothing or bandages, tweezers to pull splinters, pin to prick boils, and decent sized knife for just about anything. Just like its name implies, it's only 2 layers.

Personally I would put a Climber in it. A Climber has scissors and tweezers, but it also has an awl, which I think is very useful to make small holes in materials. This enables you to attach pieces of wood or clothing by putting a fishing or cord through the holes. The Climber also has a small blade, which could be used as a spare blade or be used for cutting tasks which require a higher level of precision.

Yet another vote for the Climber. It's the one I edc - and contains all the implements you would need for the kit.

As an alternative to a SAK, Leatherman Squirt P4. The pliers come in handy for pulling out stuff that tweezers sometimes cannot handle. If your FAK can handle something bigger, Leatherman Juice CS4.

If it's just for the FAK I'd go with the Classic or perhaps an Ambassador. I'm guessing you'll have another SAK or multitool on you as well.

"SAK for FAK": I'll agree with Sep on the compact model. Full sized scissors would probably be the most useful tool.

A swisschamp.

Small pliers/ tweezers for pulling out things,

Mag glass for seeing those small things that can get imbedded in flesh,

Some implements that can be used as probes for holding skin in place for minor surgery,

Writing pen for drawing circles around inflamed areas to show growth over time

A lot of stuff for whatever emergency that may pop up.

Others that may be ueful: Workchamp, Deluxe Tinker

I specifically bought a Vic' Huntsman to include in my medical kit. I put a Leatherman Micra and Kick in too! Bushcraft surgery....... No problem!
happy0009.gif

HB106_Medium.jpg

The Squirt P4 would be useful to deal with fish hooks in flesh in ways that I don't think a SAK would, even the SAK pliers on. But then it doesn't have scissors. Maybe the squirt plus a separate pair of scissors. I'd go for this kind, good for cutting clothes and dressings, cheap and you can get them in tactical black if you wish...

http://www.nursesdirect.com/product.html?t_q=CG725

Small, thin but powerful Christy Knife, like a scalpel in a slide case! Great for tin style faks.

Either the Climber or the Super Tinker will be perfect. The scissors and tweezers are going to be the most important tools anyway.

But you still need to make a choice between the Climber's corkscrew or the Super Tinker's screwdriver.

I like having the small blade for surgical purposes, obviously scissors. As much as I like the compact, for a FAK kit, they are $$ when climbers and super-tinkers are generally $. Other option is the rescue, but big, heavy, and you have to be careful you don't get a fake.
I'm thinking either of the three layer ones, Pioneer X is another good one if cash is not a factor, sliver-grippers are better tweezers than SAK ones anyway.

Personally, I like the SAK Rescue knife. If that is too big I would suggest something in the 91 mm series with pliers and scissors. You can use the pliers as tweezers if need be. Plus scales will get you a straight pin, too.

However, a SAK is not what I would carry in a FAK (except the Rescue). Give me a multi-tool any day. A Gerber MP-400 would work nicely. You get scissors, pliers, and cutters. Plus, if you blunt the tip of the blade with a file, you have an instant "rescue blade". Also, an MP-400 is much easier to work with gloves on than your average SAK.

I know that many of us here don't care for Gerber products but, for the money, the MP-400 and 600 series are hard to beat. Yes, you can get better (Leatherman Wave, etc.) but, over twice the price. Why put that much money into something that might not ever get used?

Back