How To SAK Mod HELP - DRILLING problems

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I need help. Ruined bits. Broken equipment. Trashed and discarded knives and blades.

I've tried various cobalt, Tungsten, and carbide drill bits to get simple, clean, 1/8" holes in 84mm amd 91mm SAK/Vic blades to do mods and have had ZERO luck finding a way to drill them out to size.
The hardest bits I could find (I think) are these;Drill Hog 1/8 Cobalt Drill Bit M42 1/8 Drill Bit Twist 12 Pk Lifetime Warranty
and they burned up trying to drill one hole.
I had my drill press set on the lowest speed (still too fast?) and used oil while trying to drill.
What am I doing wrong or do I have the wrong bits and if someone can point me where I need to go to get the right bits, I would appreciate it. I AM willing to spend the right amount of money to get the proper bits.

I'm TIRED of turning down pins in my drill press.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

I've used Irwin Cobalt bits on my SAK projects, low speed on the press, easy on the pressure and let the bit do the work. Did a little fine fitting with a DMT Diafold serration sharpener.

I've used Irwin Cobalt bits on my SAK projects, low speed on the press, easy on the pressure and let the bit do the work. Did a little fine fitting with a DMT Diafold serration sharpener.
I tried the Irwin bits too. I think I may be going with too much pressure and too much speed on my drill press.

A carbide spade bit is what you need. With a drop of cutting oil they go through SAK steel like a hot knife through butter.
IMG_1279.JPG

Last edited:
Back