SAK Mod HELP - Standoffs?

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey team,

I'm looking to get info on where to buy standoffs for SAK mods. I see all the custom scales and rebuilds. I currently am using brass pins and peening them the old fashioned way. I'd prefer to use the screws(standoffs) for a more modern look and the ability to take them apart and clean, or swap blades.

Can someone tell me where to get those miniature standoffs, or how ther are building those SAK's.

Please and THANKS in advance.

I'm not sure I can tell you where I got mine, I don't think they are a supporting dealer. I will say the smallest pivot barrel bolts I could find were 1/8" diameter which made it necessary to drill out all the blades, tools, springs, liners and scales on the Alox I put together, and the Alox models use larger pins to begin with. I wouldn't even try it on a Cellidor model. I have a Gmail account under the same name as my account here if you want to contact me off the forum for the name of my supplier.

592A2356-333E-4068-940F-F9E116D05E89.jpeg These knives all use the 1/8” diameter barrels that have #2X56TPI internal thread. The #2X56TPI flat head screws rest in countersunk holes. Enlarging the holes in the blades to 1/8” may not be an easy job.

Drilling out the holes in the blades isn't too bad as long as you have a drill press and a good supply of Cobalt bits for hardened steel. The springs are another story, they are already pretty thin around the holes. Drilling those out to 1/8" leaves them too thin for me to trust, and many of the springs on the Cellidor models rest against the side of a pin rather than having both go through. Getting that fitted correctly isn't going to be easy.

Back