SAK Multi-tool

On some SAKs like the Manager and Midnight Manager there is a tool with a phillips screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper all-in-one type tool. How effective is this tool? Is it better to have seperate tools for each or is this a good enough tool for general use?

Since any multi-tool is considered as a way to get you through in a pinch or to avoid running for another tool, I'd say that if it works for you, that's all that matters. The Gerber Recoil has several implements that have "sub-tools" on them (screwdriver,bottleopener,and wire stripper) and I can get them all to work.
I haven't found that it's better to have single use implements on a tool, but there may be those who feel it's necessary.

the tool works great for me as a screwdriver, but I'm not an alcohol drinker so I can't tell how it is for beer opening ;)

As I've learned around the Multi-tool forum, one of the great things about putting multiple implements onto a single "blade" means that the width of the knife can be less, meaning lower weight and more ease of carrying.

GeoThorn

I carry a Midnite MiniChamp II, and have found the bottle opener to be adequate, but not ideal. I prefer the full-sized SAK bottle opener, although I have opened many a bottle with the MiniChamp, so it does work.

One cool thing: The tiny philips screwdriver on the tool is magnetized, which makes it a lot easier to use. Very smart move on Victorinox's part.

Back