SAK pliers?

edb

On weekends, I'm usually in sweats or shorts, so my Leatherman isn't "on my belt". I've taken to carrying a Super Tinker clipped to my pocket (one of those S metal belt key clips with one end through the key ring on the SAK).
That works great, except that I miss the pliers sometimes.

So, any opinions on the pliers on SAKs? Thinking of moving up to the deluxe
tinker to get them, but if they're pretty useless, maybe not. Also, how
are the wire cutters on those pliers?

Of course I wouldn't expect them to work as well as the Leatherman pliers, but any opinions are appreciated :)

Well, they work if all you need is a bit more leverage to grip something than your fingers can give. Don't expect to do any real work with them, though.

I carry my wave with the pocket clip clipped to the shorts elastic band in the waist, same if I wear sweat pants, it's confortable.

Hi Tango44,

I considered doing that before, but didn't proceed because I thought it would feel too heavy. Plus, I wasn't sure about how difficult it would be to get the clip.

Did you get the clip directly from Leatherman (don't think it comes with it, does it)? Plus, I'm assuming it doesn't feel too heavy, since you say it's comfortable...

edb said:
...any opinions on the pliers on SAKs? deluxe
tinker to get them...
I have the SAK mechanic. I think the pliers are cool looking...but they are small and not likely to be up to any real duty. You need to determine what kind of "plier tasks" you need it for to determine its usefulness. If you require significant plier function in a portable multi-tool config, I recommend something in the Leatherman style. It doesn't have to be LM, just needs to be beefy in the same way.

edb said:
Also, how
are the wire cutters on those pliers?

The wire cutters are pretty limited on SAK pliers. They will only handle small stuff due to their small cutting notch. 22 guage is probably about as big as they can go in one bite.

edb said:
Hi Tango44,

I considered doing that before, but didn't proceed because I thought it would feel too heavy. Plus, I wasn't sure about how difficult it would be to get the clip.

Did you get the clip directly from Leatherman (don't think it comes with it, does it)? Plus, I'm assuming it doesn't feel too heavy, since you say it's comfortable...

Is not that heavy, of course if the shorts or the pants has a lace that you can tie, if not just the elastic band will be heavy and dangerous!

The clip does not comes with the tool, My first clip I bought it from amazon but the other ones I stopped in a army/navy store and they had the Leatherman line so I bought 3 more to have as spares for the wave, the charge and the surge.

The pliers on a SAK knife are OK for fine work, but not up to much for brute work. I broke the ones on my SwissChamp by over-stressing them - they sheared off on the side that is connected inside the knife. If you need pliers for brute usage I would consider something else.

Back