SAK Swiss champ XXLT lighter repair

I've been a long time lurker on the site and finally signed up when Victorinox failed me.

I've got a collection of blades as well as most posting here probably do. One of my favorites to bring out as a talking piece is the SwissChamp XXLT. Its a big guy. My girlfriend(now wife) bought it for me years and years ago from Germany as it wasn't available here in the US because of the butane lighter function. Which is where we come to my problem.

Id say within 5 years of me having the knife the butane lighter stopped working reliably and eventually stopped all together. It sparks, but no butane comes out. some sort of valve or clog issue. Its got a window and its still got butane in it, even if I haven't added any in years. Just none come out.

I dealt with it for years and I was in my early 20's when I got it so fixing it was never a priority. It was my first real 'collectors' realm knife and most expensive knife I owned for a while.

Now that I fully appreciate it and had the motivation, I wanted to get it fixed so I contacted Victorinox. Unfortunately due to my delay it looks like I'm out of luck. They said send it to them and they would check it out, so I did. After a couple weeks I got a call saying they couldn't help me. They would sharpen it, clean it, and replace a missing hex driver. But as far as the lighter goes they had no way of fixing it. She was very nice, but indicated how I must have gotten it overseas because they aren't available in the USA and they don't have parts.

I didn't want to give up there, so thinking since it was from overseas, I contacted Victorinox Switzerland directly. They forwarded my email to USA support and I got the same story. They are sending my knife back to me, broken.

Long story over with, now my question. Doe anyone have any idea, or leads to someone or some place that has experience with these? It looks like the same lighter that is on the swissflame as well. Maybe the lighter was made by a different company and sold to Victorinox? I just want this thing back to 100% as the lighter is a great function/talking point, except when I have to say, "Oh yeah, and it hasn't worked for years"

Thanks!

I've been a long time lurker on the site and finally signed up when Victorinox failed me.

I've got a collection of blades as well as most posting here probably do. One of my favorites to bring out as a talking piece is the SwissChamp XXLT. Its a big guy. My girlfriend(now wife) bought it for me years and years ago from Germany as it wasn't available here in the US because of the butane lighter function. Which is where we come to my problem.

Id say within 5 years of me having the knife the butane lighter stopped working reliably and eventually stopped all together. It sparks, but no butane comes out. some sort of valve or clog issue. Its got a window and its still got butane in it, even if I haven't added any in years. Just none come out.

I dealt with it for years and I was in my early 20's when I got it so fixing it was never a priority. It was my first real 'collectors' realm knife and most expensive knife I owned for a while.

Now that I fully appreciate it and had the motivation, I wanted to get it fixed so I contacted Victorinox. Unfortunately due to my delay it looks like I'm out of luck. They said send it to them and they would check it out, so I did. After a couple weeks I got a call saying they couldn't help me. They would sharpen it, clean it, and replace a missing hex driver. But as far as the lighter goes they had no way of fixing it. She was very nice, but indicated how I must have gotten it overseas because they aren't available in the USA and they don't have parts.

I didn't want to give up there, so thinking since it was from overseas, I contacted Victorinox Switzerland directly. They forwarded my email to USA support and I got the same story. They are sending my knife back to me, broken.

Long story over with, now my question. Doe anyone have any idea, or leads to someone or some place that has experience with these? It looks like the same lighter that is on the swissflame as well. Maybe the lighter was made by a different company and sold to Victorinox? I just want this thing back to 100% as the lighter is a great function/talking point, except when I have to say, "Oh yeah, and it hasn't worked for years"

Thanks!

And here's a link on how to clean em. Good luck.

https://www.hunker.com/12392197/how-to-unclog-butane-lighters

PS. U better come back and tell me if it was useless info or it's working.:D:D

Thanks! I will come back... I can't try this until Victorinox sends it back to me though.

I did always use high quality butane, but i'm not sure if it was 'extra clean'/triple refined. I'll check on that and get some.

Thanks! I will come back... I can't try this until Victorinox sends it back to me though.

I did always use high quality butane, but i'm not sure if it was 'extra clean'/triple refined. I'll check on that and get some.

I've actually never heard of all that nonsense. I've always used the regular old stuff you get at the gas station or whatever. Lol There might be something to it though, especially since the lighter is so tiny.

Always thought those Swiss flame models were cool. Almost bought one on eBay but thought $130 was outrageous for what is essentially a $30 SAK climber and a $2 BIC lighter.

Besides, I’m a zippo guy

I spoke with Victorinox customer support on the phone today and they clarified why they cannot fix these lighters. I was told there re no parts in the USA or Switzerland, but the main feeling I got is because they are legally not even allowed to put fuel into them.

Since they were discontinued because of a safety issue(no child safety features), then they cannot really work on them. Which I understand and can see how it could be a liability. My biggest issue was that when I originally called for service I was clear about why I was sending it in, and would not have paid for shipping to send it in if they couldn't fix it.

Overall they were very friendly and finally helpful in that I got an explanation on why I couldn't fix it. Once I get it back, I will try the advice given above and report back here. Maybe someone else with this knife or a swissflame can get some use out of what I find.

I spoke with Victorinox customer support on the phone today and they clarified why they cannot fix these lighters. I was told there re no parts in the USA or Switzerland, but the main feeling I got is because they are legally not even allowed to put fuel into them.

Since they were discontinued because of a safety issue(no child safety features), then they cannot really work on them. Which I understand and can see how it could be a liability. My biggest issue was that when I originally called for service I was clear about why I was sending it in, and would not have paid for shipping to send it in if they couldn't fix it.

Overall they were very friendly and finally helpful in that I got an explanation on why I couldn't fix it. Once I get it back, I will try the advice given above and report back here. Maybe someone else with this knife or a swissflame can get some use out of what I find.

I'd like to see one of these. Since ur post I've been looking at them. They seem like a novel pieven of SAK history. Regardless of the lighter hold onto it aND keep it nice.

You would think a lighter would be more useful on the Cigar model? I use the magnifying glass to start a fire but really you make camp probably more often as the sun is almost down so i can see how the lighter is a great option.

I use the magnifying glass to start a fire

I had wondered if one could use the magnifying glass on a SAK to start a fire. It seems like it would be too small and low power to ignite paper, but maybe it might work with something like char cloth?

I'd like to see one of these. Since ur post I've been looking at them. They seem like a novel pieven of SAK history. Regardless of the lighter hold onto it aND keep it nice.

I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. I will do my best to get the lighter working again so its 100% though.

I had wondered if one could use the magnifying glass on a SAK to start a fire. It seems like it would be too small and low power to ignite paper, but maybe it might work with something like char cloth?

I've wondered this too and never tried. Now I want to see what happens.

Every summer for the last 30+ years I have tried to start a fire using a SAK magnifier. To give myself every advantage, my attempt is under full bore, high noon sun, and the tinder is newspaper, or some other flammable material. I haven't succeeded yet, and usually end up using matches or a cigarette lighter, but haven't given up trying. Maybe this summer I'll try char cloth. Thanks for the tip. ;)

I have managed it once with one of the older grey frame magnifiers, but I did cheat a bit. Newspaper coated with Vaseline, summer sun concentrated on the black lettering.

Ok this summer when it gets real hot I’ll try this out on a variety of tinders. Newspaper, char cloth, tinderquiks, pine needles and every former boy scout’s favorite, Vaseline soaked cotton balls.

I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. I will do my best to get the lighter working again so its 100% though.

I've wondered this too and never tried. Now I want to see what happens.

So what ever happened with this?

9EA62568-578A-4892-8EB8-965F50513D1D.jpeg B39AEF42-5293-4B6B-A6C1-43C07D80BFF0.jpeg I had trouble with fuel leaking from my Porsche Designs butane lighters. New O-rings solved the problem. The original rings were not sufficiently resistant to the solvent action of the Butane.
If you want to start a fire with the SAK magnifying glass, use desiccated dragonfly wings soaked in nitromethane.

Late to the party of the xxlt butane lighter by a year or two but did the advice here help out the OP? I been eyeing swissflame lighters for a while so I’m just seeing how should I manage to get it to work if it breaks

I've actually never heard of all that nonsense. I've always used the regular old stuff you get at the gas station or whatever. Lol There might be something to it though, especially since the lighter is so tiny.

Old comment, I know, but I will say that there is indeed something to using highly filtered/clean fuel in soft-flame lighters. I have multiple ST Dupont lighters and if you just put usual cigar-lighter fuel into them, they will clog up and stop working. They need ST Dupont fuel, or else this five-times filtered fuel that comes in a black can. Those fuels also contain detergents, I believe, so often, if you've got a lighter gunked up by crappy fuel, putting the good stuff in and letting it sit for a bit can sometimes clear out the blockage and get them working again. I only know, because I've done it.

Hopefully the OP got his knife back and the lighter working.

Every summer for the last 30+ years I have tried to start a fire using a SAK magnifier. To give myself every advantage, my attempt is under full bore, high noon sun, and the tinder is newspaper, or some other flammable material. I haven't succeeded yet, and usually end up using matches or a cigarette lighter, but haven't given up trying. Maybe this summer I'll try char cloth. Thanks for the tip. ;)
I have managed it once with one of the older grey frame magnifiers, but I did cheat a bit. Newspaper coated with Vaseline, summer sun concentrated on the black lettering.
I know I am replying to a 2 years old thread, but since it has resurfaced and in case anyone is reading these posts: I too have tried using the mag glass on 91mm to start a fire, and as yablanowitz stated, the trick is to focus on something black. In this case, char cloth works wonderfully or else, at least use black marker to paint the newspaper(or tinder) black for better chance to ignite.

Back