SAK Toothpicks

Hello Guys,

Can somebody tell me what is the deal with Victorinox having different toothpick designs? My Vic Compact has a toothpick with the "hook" on the picking end, while my Rucksack and Deluxe Tinker have only the plain toothpick style.

Any info on this will be appreciated. Thanks all. =)

I know the hooked end is a new design. I don't think they're targeted for a particular model. I use mine all the time and have to replace it after a while so I ordered some from Victorinox. There was no option, just ordered a b ag of toothpicks. They were all the straight kind.

My guess, based on years of using and collecting SAKs, is that Victorinox makes up batches of parts; toothpicks, corkscrews, liners, etc, and uses them all up as needed. So depending on what they have on the shelf when your knife gets made, your knife may have an older style toothpick but another tool with newer feature. I think that's why it's so hard to date SAKs to the exact year.

@OkBookGuy,

That was my initial guess too, but I got mine on an "older" bought SAK (the newer buy having a straight toothpick)... I bought from the same shop at least a few months apart, and I even asked the owner about the difference in the toothpicks, but did not get any additional info.

@Frank,

Hmmm... that may really explain why my newer Rucksack actually had a straight toothpick, and my older Compact came with the "hooked" one.

Thanks a lot for the input guys... I appreciate it. =)

Back