Sal, how has the internet changed the way you do business?

This bothers me enough that I'll go ahead and quote it:

Liz,I`d like you to add this question.I`m a COL.,and a Marshal;no one in their right mind would cheat me.I can hunt them down.There is a little matter of interstate commerce which gives jurisdiction.If I can find criminal behavior,the F.B.I. will be happy to kill them resisting arrest.This is not J.Edger Hoover`s FBI ,of accountants and lawyers;these are stone cold killers;ask Lon Horiuchi.He will plink a babe from his mothers arms at 300 yds with a 3X9 scope,or just put a bullet in Mom`s face,just because Rogers OKed it, and he likes to hear the sound of his gun.The woman is no threat.Just a target that we like to see turn into mist in the scope.He doesn`t care.If the BATF could shoot,they would beat them to it.They have no ethics at all.They don`t even have substandard credentials.Believe me the DOJ and the IRS will torture you worse than I.How does the net help the common folks? It does.You can certainly complain to millions.I prefer to do my own work,but I`m lazy,I might call the pros.What is a dealer going to do now?Shoot it out,or be ruined.Best not upset powerfull cutomers.

Now I find that kind of response to the original question not just offensive, but disturbing and even a bit creepy. Does no one else?

I want Liz to get an A on her paper.If others cannot uderstand that the saying,"Avoid a falling rock",is not jiberish;the fact that you can`t think,is not my problem.
As for my failure to edit my typos,if it commos,that is good enough for this purpose.My time is limited.Liz is writing a scholorly paper.Different rules apply.I have taught Mil.,and Para Mil.,including LEO`s.You civilians do not have to like my style.It has worked for me for over 30 yrs.I wish Liz the best.Valley speak will not get her there.I meant to make her think.There is no anomosity.
I have never been addressed as,"Yo Dude"either.
------------------
If the wold has left me behind,so be it.I think that it is a shame,if true.My friends do not speak thus.There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here.I hope that this clarifies things.If some experts wish to edit my posts,be my guest.Since the meaning is ogton esoteric and arcane.,that would take a little more education than most possess.

There is no evil intent in posting to other forums.I just had something different to say as I`d run into them.Most were neutral.

[This message has been edited by ghostsix (edited 10 November 1999).]

Colonel, the important question is:

How did we get from a schoolgirl asking a marketing question to people's brains being turned into a "spray of mist"?

What possible train of thought led you into "blood'n'guts" discussions with a *schoolgirl* on *two* of the threads? That's what I want to know, forget about any rudeness or poor grammar on her part, none of which could possibly lead to that kind of graphic nightmare-inducing post. What you said in the "chest cavity" post on Tactical was extreme but not totally out of bounds for that forum or that discussion but...there's a time and a place and talking with a girl asking marketing questions ain't the time for a gore-fest.

Jim

OK Ghost, I guess I might have misunderstood you.

Whatever the case, I hope you can see that some of the things you've been telling Liz are extremely easy to take the wrong way. If clear communication was your goal, you've been falling short of it.

Your experience probably gives you a lot of expertise regarding the military and law enforcement. What it likely doesn't give you, IMHO, is expertise in helping a student get an A on a paper.

Now I may not be good at it either, but this at least is where I have experience. And from what I've learned during my years in the classroom, your approach to helping Liz is at best counterproductive.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bill (edited 12 November 1999).]

To reiterate,my purpose is not always to be clear.Open statements often provide answers that I had not thought to ask.No one is required to read me.Just skip it,if you don`t like it.You can always ban me.It would save me some time.
As to Jim`s question,Such things are never far from mind.I don`t see the relevance either after re-reading it,Mea Culpa.
------------------

[This message has been edited by ghostsix (edited 10 November 1999).]

Sheesh!
frown.gif

I answer to James, Jim, or Hey you!
smile.gif

Anybody want to try starting a new thread with the original question?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Personally, I think that it is disrespectful to blow the thread apart with this nonsense.

Liz - Please continue.

sal

My apologies, Sal. I guess I have a hard time not being a disciplinarian. All those years in the classroom, perhaps.

I'll try to let somebody else police your forum.

(BTW, I'm still extremely happy with my calypso jr. lightweight. Great knife! People without one are missing out.)

>> Now I find that kind of response to the original question not just offensive, but disturbing and even a bit creepy. Does no one else?

I don't think there is any reason to let sick people upset us. I just usually delete stuff like that and go my way.
I would see a lot more of that back in the early days of telecommunications, when people were more mixed together then what they are now. But today, people stick more to their own group and you do not see as much of it, as we did back then.

Liz,
As an on-line collector,let me tell you how the internet has changed my buying habits.Because of the 3-4 month delay in the printing of knife magazines,I most often find out about new models on line.Since I like to have the newest stuff,I am already waiting for items before they are released.The new Military, Matriarch and the Starmate are good examples of this.
The internet has probably TRIPLED knife purchases for me.More fairly priced product flowing through the industry has got to be a positive influence.IMHO.
David

AKTI#150

This sums up my situation as well.
Well said Davidb415.

ghostsix,
BAD Colonel!
You need to apologize to Lizabelle and let her figure this stuff out for herself. If she wants your help with her use of the English language I'll bet she will ask. I've been following her on the different Forums as her query is quite fascinating and I'm interested in what others think on the subject and I see you seem to be badgering her all the way. Time to stand down, Colonel. Do it.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

[This message has been edited by misque (edited 11 November 1999).]

davidb415 has hit upon the essence of what the Internet offers the knife consumer: access to products and information. The Internet has allowed me to become a more knowledgable consumer, not to mention the fact that I now own more Spyderco knives than I've ever seen in any big chain sporting goods store.

Dave

P.S. Good to see this thread returned to its original flight plan.

------------------
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of More Knives

[This message has been edited by dsvirsky (edited 11 November 1999).]

I did get A`s myself.I used to know my way around a U.I`m old now,and perhaps should be discarded.

------------------

double post.

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 12 November 1999).]

To Liz: As for customer, the internet has changed the way I buy knives significantly. Without it I would have never bought so many knives and I would have spent much more $$$ for them.

I have one question too: Why do you write "I" as "i" (i am, i did...). Is it something new or you are just lazy
smile.gif
to push "Shift". Purpose of this question is not to offend you - I am just curious. English is not my mother tongue and I am still learning.

To others (excluding Liz):

Also after reading all posts in this thread (and others as well)I do not see any reason G6 should apologize. He admitted he was "curmudgeon and misogynic (G6 you should check spelling on that one)" and he did not say anything unpolite here. I think you are too sensitive when judging his posts.

BTW I had to read some of his posts several times to understand them. Maybe you should do the same.
smile.gif

David

[This message has been edited by David1967 (edited 15 November 1999).]

David,

I'll write this properly, so you can understand. I write "I" as "i" for what reason I'm not completely sure. I've been using the Internet for over 3 years now, and during that time I have chatted a lot. That's where I picked up the habit. Part of the reason is probably laziness, another could be that it saves a few seconds of time when trying to talk to someone by typing. I just have one question for you. If your purpose was not to offend, what was it?

I also hope that you're not addressing me when you say
I think you are too sensitive when judging his posts.
I have hardly said anything in response to ghostsix. But there comes a point when a person feels like she needs to defend herself. Especially with comments like
No wonder that we don`t take females seriously.
Which was stated by ghostsix. And I never asked for an apology! Why should someone apologize for something they don't feel bad about? Be real.

Liz

[This message has been edited by Lizabelle (edited 12 November 1999).]

That's a girl Lizabelle.
wink.gif
Don't put up with anyone's crap.
smile.gif
-AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

Trying to crowbar the subject back into the original direction
smile.gif
it seems there are two possible reactions to the Net from a manufacturer's point of view:

1) The big guys who sell in retail storefronts at "impulse buy price levels" (such as Spydie) are in some ways getting hurt. Their retail dealers are having a problem competing with the net dealers and hence don't really like selling a brand with heavy Internet exposure...especially if the prices on the net are in the basement. These manufacturers have had to make special arrangements to keep Internet prices up without slipping across the line into "illegal price fixing". Spydie has managed to avoid doing anything illegal, other makers have been less successful in that department. Liz knows what I'm talking about already.

2) The little guys who sell direct (mostly handmade like Ernie Mayer, Himalayan Imports, Speedtech, etc) are absolutely in LOVE with the net. They're experiencing an unprecedented boom. HI struggled for years, then put their website up, put up the original KF subforum and just exploded. They're now expanding their second shop in Nepal. Mad Dog took a slightly different path by using small dealers only who had good customer service records and didn't discount; as with HI, the forums helped his biz enormously.

Now, that's just talking about sales. Customer feedback is long-term valuable of course, but sales is where it's at.

Jim

Back