Sal- kitchen knife tang lengths (homemade Challif?)

Sal-

How long are the tangs in the kitchen knives? Are they full tang?

What is the shape of the tang? Straight or do they follow the contours of the handles?

The reason that I'm asking is that I've always wanted a Challif, but was unable to find one. I think that I could make my own from the large utility by adding micarta scales and chopping off an inch or two of blade. Why? I don't know, but I've been intrigued by this knife ever since I first saw it. Considering that the large utility isn't an expensive knife, I won't be out much money if the experiment goes badly. Something about the blade shape has me wanting to have one.

On that note, if there's anyone wondering if these knives are any good, THEY ARE! I've handled and used a number of high-dollar kitchen knives and the Spydie knives put them all to shame. Thin, hard, and very sharp. My Santuko has been used to split a number of chickens, bone and all. Still frighteningly sharp, and I've never touched the edge with a stone or steel.

For the price, they can't be beat, especially compared to the over-priced department store knives.

BTW, anyone have a real Challif hanging around that they might want to sell?

Greg

Back